My Pad is too hot!

A collection of useful threads for troubleshooting issues.
Rob
Site Admin

My Pad is too hot!

Post by Rob »

Pads that are too hot are not going to trigger optimally. Positional Sensing, hotspot suppression and edge sense depend on a clean unclipped signal. If your drum is too hot, this post will help you resolve the issue.

eDRUMin inputs have enough headroom for most commercially pads. If that’s not the case for your pad, or if you are doing a DIY A/E conversion, below is a list of things you can do to bring down the strength of the signal.
  • Choose 27mm piezos over 35mm.
  • Lower your sensor.
  • Use lighter sticks.
  • Use cones not cylinders.
  • Add a series resistor.
  • Use a softer cone.
Choose 27mm Piezos over 35mm
If you are doing an A-E conversion, try to buy trigger systems that use 27mm piezos for the head sensor. 35mm sensors for the rim, however, is very common and won’t be an issue.

Lower your Sensor
If you’ve mounted your sensor such that it’s pressed too hard against the drum head, try lowering it. eDRUMin inputs are extremely sensitive and will pick your ghost notes even it the cone is lightly touching the drum head.

Use lighter Sticks
Not only will it reduce the strength of the signal, it’ll also extend the life of your pads. 5A or lighter are recommended.

Use Cones Not Cylinders
Use cones rather than cylinders as a cone will transfer about 1/3 of the energy of a cylinder.

Add a Series Resistor.
Adding a series resistor is an effective solution, but is definitely in the realm of DIY. The resistor should be in the range of 5K to 30K. With larger values of the resistor, the amount of attenuation goes up. Use the lowest value of resistor you can get away with.
moreAttenuation.png
moreAttenuation.png (19.87 KiB) Viewed 4308 times
mprinz

Re: My Pad is too hot!

Post by mprinz »

Uhh, sorry .. I recognized this thread in the eDrum Workshop review ...
So, for solving the Jobeky snare problem I will definitely grab a softer cone.
The Jobeky ones are quite dense/hard.

Thanks for your efforts!
thenewdrummer

Post by thenewdrummer »

mprinz wrote:Uhh, sorry .. I recognized this thread in the eDrum Workshop review ...
So, for solving the Jobeky snare problem I will definitely grab a softer cone.
The Jobeky ones are quite dense/hard.

Thanks for your efforts!
If you find one that's working please report back where to buy it :)
mprinz

Post by mprinz »

Hi!

I found this:

https://www.682drums.eu/en/diy-drum-triggers/

And, I think they will ship only to Germany:

https://www.drum-doktor.de/etrigger-sets

I ordered a black and an blue one...
thenewdrummer

Post by thenewdrummer »

mprinz wrote:Hi!

I found this:

https://www.682drums.eu/en/diy-drum-triggers/

And, I think they will ship only to Germany:

https://www.drum-doktor.de/etrigger-sets

I ordered a black and an blue one...
Will wait to see if it works cuz shipping is really expensive from 682.
mprinz

Post by mprinz »

That's true!

Detlef, the guy from drum-doktor.de replied already.
That's exactly the reason why he developed some 2-component super-soft cones. :o
So I am looking forward to get those ...

He seems to work with Jazz e-drummers.

I will report about the result!
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I think just switching from a cylinder to a cone is going to cut the signal in half.
mprinz

Post by mprinz »

Yeah, you are right.

The cone will dissipate/spread the energy when travelling down due the different sizes of surfaces that touch drum head and piezo.
This effect is not present for columns.

Oh, hopefully I can rely on the physics and everything will be fine!
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Make sure you post here after you switch cones. If the cone turns out to be the solution, I'll update the unofficially support pad list to make note of the issues the cones on Jobeky triggers.
mprinz

Post by mprinz »

Hi Rob,

damn!

Here is the thing:

Today I changed the cone . I put it on the stage without decoupling cushion. The transients look good but I still got these 127 velocities...
Just before kicking the whole s###t through the wall, I clicked on "reset input" and everthing was fine with regard to the velocities hot spotting etc.
WHAT!? I was quite down ... I used a gain of 1.1/1.2 and I'm fine.

But side stick, rimshot and pos sense triggering was a mess.
So, again - head off - and placed a cushion (some left overs from the Jobeky surgery) below the head piezo and it is more or less usable.

I have tree different trigger cones here from https://www.drum-doktor.de/etrigger-sets and now used a blue PRO. Which I had to shorten a bit unfortunately. But I think, that doesn't matter.

Anyway, since I actually have no idea if all that was just a software/electronic/something issue, I won't blame Jobeky for anything.
But it's a fact that - when you squeeze the drum-doktor.de cones, they are back to their shape way faster than the Jobeky foam rod.
Also the physics are still valid... I would guess, I have just 1/4 of "sensor" area than with the Jobeky rod... leading to 4 times less energy traveling to the piezo.

Ok now it's "usable" but I have quite a large yellow area in the rimshot range display.
And I get a lot of side stick triggers when hitting the edge of the head.
I would guess, that the rim piezo is now the issue. It's mounted vertical onto a metal angle on the shell. Since the cheap Millenium drum pads have a center mounted rim trigger below the properly decoupled head piezo and are working fine, I will also install it below the head trigger "stage".

And that's my last idea ... to get a fancy pos sense out of that thing.
Attachments
20210306_211520_Bildgröße ändernb.jpg
20210306_211520_Bildgröße ändernb.jpg (285.12 KiB) Viewed 4241 times