Help with hi-hat closure

Building your own? Need help with your designs? You've come to the right place.
Ronyd

Re: Help with hi-hat closure

Post by Ronyd »

Rob wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:26 am
I finally got around to assembling my sensor and making an enclosure. The enclosure has a base, which I simply glued on the hihat pedal. The part with the sensor in it can slide on rails along the base, allowing for fine tuning the sensor position. Works great! I've got parts to make 10 of them, I just have to decide how to give them out. Might make a good upgrade for people using a Yamaha HH135.

circuit.jpg
profile.jpg
installed.jpg
Rob, what magnets do you recommend. I will purchase the enclosure. Here in the states, to buy one DRV5056A1QLPGM + shipping is $10. I can always tinker later with my Arduino.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

If you're asking about what I'm selling, it's the sensor on a PCB, in a enclosure, and I send an appropriate magnet too.
scoTTTimo

Post by scoTTTimo »

Rob wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 10:27 am
Well the sensor has to be well secured. If it can move around or even vibrate, that's going to be a problem. You might want to open the sensor up and have a look to make sure I soldered it well. I suspect it's fine, but you never know. Maybe your sensor isn't getting enough power? I did put a 0.1 uF on the circuit board, but i probably should have also put a larger bulk capacitor on there as well.
Here’s some pics. The calibration line bounces around even when the hardware is sitting completely still, so maybe you’re right about it not getting enough power? I have the eDRUMin 10 connected to a MacBook Pro M2. How can I test that possibility? I did try the other pedal jack with no difference. It also doesn’t seems to matter how close the magnet gets. If loosen the hihat clutch and push the pedal all the way down, it behaves the same. I checked your solders inside the sensor unit as well, and they look good to me.
Attachments
IMG_2378.jpeg
IMG_2378.jpeg (300.05 KiB) Viewed 2149 times
IMG_2379.jpeg
IMG_2379.jpeg (302.93 KiB) Viewed 2149 times
scoTTTimo

Post by scoTTTimo »

Rob, here’s a video of what’s happening.

https://youtu.be/Hz5UTswryRY?si=H2N56RVqhjqZleY9
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

There looks to be a lot going wrong in that video--some of which might even be eDRUMin bugs. It's hard to tell.

1. Your sensor seems to be placed too far forward. This is likely the route cause of your problem. Here's a rough sketch of where the magnet should be in relation to the sensor when the pedal is all the way down.
05-10-2024, 09-29-34.png
05-10-2024, 09-29-34.png (14.86 KiB) Viewed 2134 times
2. Use the first pedal input (I worry there might be a bug when using the second input). Reset the input, select the expression pedal, and calibrate. While you're calibrating you should adjust the position of your sensor to get a good range. If you can't get the position moving smoothly during calibration, then something else is wrong. Try flipping your magnet.

UPDATE:
There look's to be a nut just in front of where you have the magnet is placed now. That would be a good place to attach your magnet because it's going to be nice and stable and help you get the magnet nice and close to the sensor when your pedal is fully pressed.
scoTTTimo

Post by scoTTTimo »

It’s working right!

Funny thing is, I thought the magnet WAS on the nut. When I took the pics, I didn’t notice it had moved. I don’t think that was the root of the issue though. I think that only happened when I vacuumed out the dw5000 for the pics. Must’ve bumped the magnet. Anyway, moving the sensor back is what seems to have fixed it. All good now. Very smooth transitions. I’m not sure which one is smoother though, this or my lemon HHC12. They’re pretty close. I’m coming from an Alesis dm10 though, which, when opening the hats, would skip half the transition notes every time. 0, 60, then a few numbers between 60-127. Even with the lemon hats. That was the main reason I bought the eDRUMin. Just switching to it was night and day.

Thank you Rob! 15 bucks well spent. It’s so awesome that it can be used with any hats since it mounts under the pedal.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I just sold the last of those sensors. If people are keen for me to make more, I'll get a batch made up. At $15, I don't really make any money. For those who actually bought it from me, do think it's worth $30 USD?
Ronyd

Post by Ronyd »

Rob wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 7:24 am
I just sold the last of those sensors. If people are keen for me to make more, I'll get a batch made up. At $15, I don't really make any money. For those who actually bought it from me, do think it's worth $30 USD?
I was just ready to purchase :roll: since i just feel upon you had done the Hall Effect product.

Guess I'll have to DIY my own. bummer. or pay the $30 is you bump the price up. To me, $15 is resonable. But your work is impecable, so your call.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I was just charging $15 to cover the cost of shipping. At $15 they are pretty much gifts.
Ronyd

Post by Ronyd »

Rob wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 12:48 pm
I was just charging $15 to cover the cost of shipping. At $15 they are pretty much gifts.
I'll say. Your a highly regard person to do that. Good for you.

I'll do a DIY for my own experience. I'm retired so have plenty of time on my hands to play and DIY. I also 3D printing for my drum triggers and cymbals. Printer was given to me by a professor at the College i work at.

But end result, if you do produce more, I will certainly purchase!!