Help with hi-hat closure

Building your own? Need help with your designs? You've come to the right place.
scoTTTimo

Re: Help with hi-hat closure

Post by scoTTTimo »

ED10R2
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

How long is your cable? It needs to supply current so you'll want to use as short a cable as possible.
scoTTTimo

Post by scoTTTimo »

3 feet, TRS. Monoprice brand, from Amazon.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

That shouldn't be the issue then. Do you know firmware version you are using?
scoTTTimo

Post by scoTTTimo »

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Not sure what the problem is. You're sure the alignment of the magnet and sensor is good?
scoTTTimo

Post by scoTTTimo »

Do you have guidance you can offer on how to check? I’m not aware of any instructions. I just tried to copy what I saw in your pics in this thread.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Well the sensor has to be well secured. If it can move around or even vibrate, that's going to be a problem. You might want to open the sensor up and have a look to make sure I soldered it well. I suspect it's fine, but you never know. Maybe your sensor isn't getting enough power? I did put a 0.1 uF on the circuit board, but i probably should have also put a larger bulk capacitor on there as well.
Ronyd

Post by Ronyd »

Mr_Bluesguy wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:15 pm
AKA Wayne- nice design!
I've been looking at real world advantages/disadvantages of hall vs. optical viewed through my career experiences in electronics (retired now). I've dealt with both. In an e-drum situation, it appears to me that there's not a dimes worth of difference performance wise between the two. Optical may have the slightest disadvantage with ambient light interference and occlusion of the lens due to dirt,dust, environmental conditions, but in actuality that really is only a problem in harsh or extreme environments. Don't think anyone's going to be gigging at the astrodome on Mars any time soon. Careful packaging design can cover those issues. The other inconsequential issue is getting cables out from between the hat cymbals in an elegant manner, again, not really consequential. I think it just comes down to personal preference and/or if your pedal configuration allows for sensors to be located at the pedal instead of the hats.
Having said all that, I like your idea of commercializing your design, and I'd like to offer a suggestion. It should be possible to make your pcb design flexible enough to accommodate either a hall or optical sensor. For a hall effect version, mount a ring magnet to the plastic reflector disc under the top hat. A ring magnet will alleviate any magnet misalignment due to inevitable cymbal spin. So with minimal effort, you could cover both Hall and optical customers with essentially the same design and potentially double your sales. Just a thought....
You hit a good point on @AKA_Wayne's design. I use it and like it. But I did notice last week, when there's light shining in the window late afternoon, Edrumin hihat pedal display was bouncing around. Couldn't understand why until i realized the ambient light was the root cause.
Ronyd

Post by Ronyd »

Rob wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:27 pm
I don't think you can damage the sensor as you are only ever applying 3.3V to it. The DRV5056A1QLPGM datasheet has lots of great information about how the magnet should move in relation to the sensor, so definitely worth having a look at. When I was playing around with the SS49E I noticed that I had to move the magnet a lot to get the voltage to drop off nicely which is probably why you are have troubles getting the pedal to return to open quickly enough. You shouldn't have that problem with the DRV5056A1QLPGM sensor.
Rob, I use the Expression Pedal type for my optical sensor. Are we using the Expression Pedal to supply the voltage for the Hall Effect?

Aaah i saw this so I should be good:
Expression Pedal and Roland Polarity