Check yer curves

monospace

Check yer curves

Post by monospace »

Clicking once in the Velocity Curve area enables or disables a curve. This is a great feature, but it’s also really easy to do by accident. If you find that all of a sudden the response from your pad is all wonky, check and make sure you didn’t accidentally disable the curve. This has happened to me a couple of times and I wasted precious time tweaking settings without realizing it.
Miscellaneous Roland triggers. ED-10 + ED-4. MacBook Pro (2015), 16G RAM, Big Sur. Superior Drummer 3. Logic Pro.
dsteinschneider

Re: Check yer curves

Post by dsteinschneider »

Great tip - I once ran into this. I did a lot of clicking around and never knew what I did that fixed it - now I know :D
mprinz

Post by mprinz »

So, you need a "lock curves" check box.
monospace

Post by monospace »

You know what, I think that would actually be really helpful, especially with the new feature that creates independent curves automatically (not a fan of that feature.)
Miscellaneous Roland triggers. ED-10 + ED-4. MacBook Pro (2015), 16G RAM, Big Sur. Superior Drummer 3. Logic Pro.
mprinz

Post by mprinz »

Ok.

So:

"link vel. curves" and
"lock vel. curves"

I will do all that in Superior Drummer 3, because - as Luke Oswald mentioned:
The feeling really depends on the library ...on every simples instrument sample set.
monospace

Post by monospace »

I still try to avoid editing curves in Superior Drummer as much as possible. I'm working on the assumption that Toontrack recorded the dynamic range of a drum as accurately as possible, and so making adjustments at the source (the trigger, i.e. the eDRUMin) is the way to go.

I do however spend plenty of time in the Superior Drummer 3 Mixer tab for each drumkit, to get the relative volumes of each kit piece just right. I will also adjust the volume (especially of cymbals) in the sidebar panel of the Drums tab. But I generally leave the curves alone.
mprinz

Post by mprinz »

Hi monospace,
monospace wrote:I still try to avoid editing curves in Superior Drummer as much as possible. I'm working on the assumption that Toontrack recorded the dynamic range of a drum as accurately as possible
Of course they do. The range will be ok, but I had the following guess:

I mean, what would you do, if someone is asking for a hit to record a samples with velocity 105?
I still can't imagine how they do this.

Ok, if I could continously play from 1 to 127, you know doing very subtle strokes to smashing the stick into the drum... somehow.
But theses guys have to wait until the veeeery laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast tone decayed.
I couldn't remember how hard I hit the last time to do the next sample with a higher "velocity"... :roll:

Anyway, what I want to point out: theses are human beings and a Jazz, Funk drummer will definitley hit the drums
with another "intrinsic velocity curve" than a Metal, Rock drummer. You know what I mean?

So if YOU hit the same tom pad with the exact same strength and velocity settings you will get different interpretations, maybe of the drummer
or the poor guy who has to cut and sort all that crap together.

I assume, you adjust the eDrumIn curves together with a VST - you have to - so for that certain library that it's fine. Your favorite library ...
But in principle the hardware trigger settings should correct or tune only the hardware properties - I would suggest.
(like Rob, who mentioned in a video - I think about setting up a mesh pad - that he finds mesh pads feel a bit soft when hitting them lightly, and he pushes the velocity curve a bit higher at lower input velocities.)

And sure, I find that after "tuning" the meshpads, the response is different - of course. So I set down the sensitivity in the eDRUMin and I am done for every VST library, yap.

Just my thoughts ...

Greetings

Manuel
monospace

Post by monospace »

You just articulated another reason why device snapshots, and an easy way to load them (by foot switch?), are going to be essential. I pretty much play the same SD3 kit all the time, but I can totally see how you’d want to be able to load different eDRUMin settings depending on what library/kit/preset you’re playing.
mprinz

Post by mprinz »

Hmmmm, yeah...
In Superior Drummer 3 you cannot switch the settings via ProgChange Messages, right.
Or switch the library...

Anyway, maybe it's just a matter.of taste or a habit . Because my stinky Millenium module hasn't got that detailed settings so I did this in the DAW. And I got stuck to that ...

Is the edrumin4 even changing the velocity curves when getting a program change message?