Sticks matter!

monospace

Sticks matter!

Post by monospace »

The size and weight of your sticks matter, even when you’re playing electronic drums. A heavier stick will make it easier to play heavier, solid beats; and a lighter stick will make playing subtle, jazzier beats easier. No, it will not change the sound of your drums, but it will change how much energy you need to create that sound.

That said, nylon tips last longer on mesh heads than woods, but that’s just basic physics. Rock on.
Miscellaneous Roland triggers. ED-10 + ED-4. MacBook Pro (2015), 16G RAM, Big Sur. Superior Drummer 3. Logic Pro.
dsteinschneider

Re: Sticks matter!

Post by dsteinschneider »

I've been using, on recommendation from Alan VEX of the vdrums forum, the Buddy Rich Signature Drumsticks, Modified 5A Stick, 16-5/16" Length, and 0.590" Diameter. Wood tip but haven't noticed extra wear on my Billy Blast 3ply mesh heads.
monospace

Re: Sticks matter!

Post by monospace »

I like Vater's Sugar Maple Super Jazz for a light touch; maple seems to keep the vibrations in check.
Basic Vic Firth 5AN for most other playing styles. I have some older wood tip sticks that are wearing away, but sticks are consumables so that's fine by me.
Miscellaneous Roland triggers. ED-10 + ED-4. MacBook Pro (2015), 16G RAM, Big Sur. Superior Drummer 3. Logic Pro.