Powering a Hall effect sensor from the ED10 USB Host Port

mprinz

Re: Powering a Hall effect sensor from the ED10 USB Host Port

Post by mprinz »

Hi, dsteinschneider,

did you use the forum search?
We had a long actually fruitful discussion on that topic.
Sorry, got stuck here today, way to late....
dsteinschneider

Post by dsteinschneider »

Hi mprinz,

I finally did go back through all the discussions this week and I think I understand almost everything I need to know finally about building/using a Hall Effect sensor with the eDRUMin. I saw the discussions about using the DRV5056 vs SS49E
mprinz

Post by mprinz »

Where should I start ... first question please? ;)
dsteinschneider

Post by dsteinschneider »

OK, first question - Why do Germans like the DRV5056 more than the SS49E :lol:

I apologize to Rob and everyone for asking all these questions about the Hall Effect sensor setups over the past month. I got mine working initially by trial and error and wanted to really understand the details of how the sensor detects magnetic fields.

I now have a full grasp of the implementation details and would be happy to answer any questions :D

This article helped a lot: https://www.allegromicro.com/en/insight ... technology

This datasheet was also helpful:
sps-siot-ss39et-ss49e-ss59et-product-sheet-005850-3-en-ciid-50359.pdf
mprinz

Post by mprinz »

Ha, that was just the final result of studying those datasheets and magnetic flux vs. output voltage... and ... ooohheee ... I dont know.

Happy Easter Holiday!
LooseSends

Post by LooseSends »

Just going to chime in with my experience now that I have it (almost) perfected.

I settled on the A1302 sensor, probably from some discussion I read elsewhere and had some initial issues that drove me nuts until I realized that you need to select "Expression Pedal" instead of other options if you want to deliver power to the sensor without adding an extra power feed.

The argument is that the A1302 prefers 4.2v+ for proper operation, but it turns out it works quite well at just 3.3v, although with a narrower range. That narrower range turns out to be good enough if you prefer a lower range of motion for HH to begin with, and accuracy isn't an issue. I'm only using a stack of two tiny 2mm (I think) magnets right now but have a much stronger one I'm going to test with tonight which should increase the dynamic range to perfection.

Incidentally I was told that even Rob's recommended HE sensor requires 4.2v+ on paper so it's probably not much different in that regard.

I mounted the sensor in the body of a broken Alesis HH pedal (not sure model offhand). Anyway, it's almost as if Alesis anticipated this retrofit because they have a threaded oval hole at the perfect spot that allows vertical and in/out adjustment without taking the pedal apart to make fine adjustments.

This is what I have at the moment.
hhpedal.jpg
hhpedal.jpg (920.52 KiB) Viewed 4382 times
I'll try the bigger magnet later, but tbh I'm pretty happy with the dynamics of the HH right now triggering 6 samples, but I'm hoping for some more dynamic range to play with.

The circuit was dead simple, of course, and here's what I ended up with, using the mounting hole for the TRS input on the existing pedal.
20220608.jpg
20220608.jpg (458.37 KiB) Viewed 4382 times
Point is you should be able to get away without extra power and taking up the USB slot, if you set your levels right in the ED software as well as your preferred VST so long as it supports multiple HH samples. In my case with such a small range currently, most of it is covering the closed sounds and the open sounds get stacked up pretty tight on the back end but this should open up with a bigger magnetic flux field from the stronger magnet if all goes as planned.
mprinz

Post by mprinz »

Hi LooseSends,

looks nice.

But I would try a smaller magnet or piece of metal to reduce or "deform" the flux if it's responding to "fast".

Greetings

Manuel