MIDI Exoression 2.8 is released

Rob
Site Admin

MIDI Exoression 2.8 is released

Post by Rob »

I’m very pleased to announce version 2.8 of the MIDI Expression firmware and Control Application. This release includes some great new features and a much-needed overhaul of the Control Application.

New Features / Improvements
  • Variable Smoothing
  • Smoothing Rate Control
  • Improved Hihat / Note Modes
  • Enhanced Pedal Sensing
  • Channel Pressure for expression pedals
MECLayout28.jpg
MECLayout28.jpg (71.16 KiB) Viewed 5977 times
Variable Smoothing
In previous releases, smoothing could only be turned on or off. With this release, you can set the amount of smoothing you want to apply, and the graphic in Control Application provides accurate visual feedback.

Smoothing Rate Control
Smoothing Rate Control is a great new feature that allows you to control how fast the values for an expression pedal change. The units for the control are in values / second. For example, if you have the control set to 10 values / second, pressing an expression pedal all the way down will result in your MIDI Expression outputting value from 0 all the way up to 127 over time span of 12.7 seconds.

Improved Hihat / Note Modes
With this release, users can now adjust the amount of scan time, offering much improved support for variable damper pedals and Yamaha hihat controllers. The entire Hihat / Note mode experience becomes adaptive in this version, with many settings being calibrated on the fly and behind the scenes.
hihatMode.jpg
hihatMode.jpg (56.79 KiB) Viewed 5977 times
Improved Pedal Sensing
Pedal Sensing technology is MIDI Expression's stand out feature and in this version it gets some significant improvements. Support for the following pedals was wither added or improved.
  • Yamaha FC3A
  • Yamaha HH65
  • Line 6 EX
  • Marshall PEDL-90010.
Compatibility Notes
Version 2.8 supports all generations of MIDI Expression devices running firmware 2.4 and up. If you are using firmware < 2.4, you can either do a factory reset after updating to version 2.8, or first update to version 2.7 before updating to 2.8 in order to preserve your settings.
Satri

Re: MIDI Exoression 2.8 is released

Post by Satri »

Minor typo in the Smoothing Rate Control description: that last number should probably be 12.7 seconds instead of 10.27 seconds.

And yes, I confirm it's a -great- feature! Thanks Rob for making MIDI Expression even better :-) -- Alex
Synth soloist & Moog official beta tester || Maintainer of Animoog.org || My music on animoog.org/satri || ROLI Seaboard RISE, Roland RD-300SX & Theremini
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Thanks, Alex. I know you've always got my back.
Enkerli

Post by Enkerli »

Thank you so much for this update!
Works well with that Marshall footswitch, making it much more useful. In the meantime, also bought a Boss FS-6 footswitch and the M-Audio expression pedal. Altogether, it makes for a pretty convenient setup. Been using a footswitch to control freeze/hold on a reverb/delay (the Zero Kelvin ensemble for Reaktor is particularly useful, here). And the expression pedal works quite well to control growl with Chet Singer’s Silverwood Tenor Sax (also in Reaktor). Haven’t explored the smoothing too much, but it’s likely to help with some of the more expressive effects.
Perhaps surprisingly, the sensing doesn’t always work. It often thinks that my footswitches are sustain pedals, for instance. And getting Bitwig to assign the MIDI messages properly required a bit of fiddling (the effect needs to be within the same container as the main instrument).
Still, it’s really nice how this expands my setup.
Thanks for the hard work!
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Thanks for the feedback. Typically with footswitches, you need to press the buttons once before it is properly identified by the pedal sensing. I'll do some more testing to see if there are any issues.
willspence

Post by willspence »

GREAT PRODUCT! I've used MIDI Solutions products in the past, which are great, but you've taken it to another level with the Quattro.
reckless

Post by reckless »

hi, I used the midi expression for a while now, and love it. But suddenly I cannot open it in standalone mode! It opens, but falls automatically down to the dock, and the main window does not show. So I cannot use it. Any solutions this problem? I am going crazy! It is working on OX Mojave on my other mac, but not on this one. And it worked fine on this, and now suddenly it doesn't.
Dafrog

Post by Dafrog »

Hello fine people of the MIDI community. Can anybody tell me if this company is still in business? I ordered a single red adapter, received it in reasonable time but it came from Taiwan. I'm trying to reach customer support but the web site makes no sense, captchas that lead nowhere, input forms that have no links to them.
I'm trying to use the device to have my expression pedal serve different functions for different situations (volume for organ, expression for strings, etc...) which the plugin version promised to make easy, problem is, the plugin only shows as audio plugin in Digital Performer, which is useless for midi applications since it cannot be assigned to the right destinations.
Can anyone help?
thanks
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Still in business, Thanks. I was recently updating the website.
motorizer

Post by motorizer »

@Dafrog
hi
Did you find a solution to your problem , i m interested!