Ribbon Controller

Ctopher7

Ribbon Controller

Post by Ctopher7 »

Hello:

2 questions:

I understand you can set min/max values in the CC mode with expression pedals. Can you set min/max values with switch pedals and pitchbend?

Would your converter work with a slide potentiometer? These seems like it could used to build a pitchbend ribbon controller. Perhaps the software could use a "snapback" option (e.g. snap to 64 upon release) and perhaps a "relative" option as well (i.e. start bending from point of contact).

Thanks.

Chris
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Ribbon Controller

Post by Rob »

Hi,

Sorry for the extremely late response.
Ctopher7 wrote:I understand you can set min/max values in the CC mode with expression pedals. Can you set min/max values with switch pedals and pitchbend?
Yes and No. The firmware would support that, but it's not currently implemented in the Control Application.
Ctopher7 wrote:Would your converter work with a slide potentiometer? These seems like it could used to build a pitchbend ribbon controller. Perhaps the software could use a "snapback" option (e.g. snap to 64 upon release) and perhaps a "relative" option as well (i.e. start bending from point of contact).
I'll have to do some research and get back to you...I suspect it's doable.

Regards,
Rob
bblix

Re: Ribbon Controller

Post by bblix »

I would not think a slide pot would work well for pitch bend. I have a couple of sensor strips bought from SparkFun. These are position sensitive variable resistors. Easy to mount and can be covered by cloth, plastic film or whatever.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8681

Support for these and any other potmeter-like control units would be great.

The Yamaha CS80 and 60 had a great implementation of the ribbon controller. You could press anywhere, and that becme the starting - middle - position. For a deep downward bend press far right and slide to the left. And vice versa. Letting go of the strip snapped back to the middle position.

Best,

Blix