MIDI Expression iO now available

Rob
Site Admin

MIDI Expression iO now available

Post by Rob »

Audiofront releases MIDI Expression iO, a compact USB MIDI pedal interface with full size MIDI ports for $139 USD.
[td][b]Features[/b] [list][*]3 plug and play, pedal sensing inputs [*]Full size 5 pin MIDI In / Out Ports [*]Flexible routing [*]Key Commands[/list][/td][td][img]http://www.audiofront.net/meio_small.png[/img][/td]
Pedal Sensing Inputs
MIDI Expression devices offer the highest level of plug and playability. The inputs automatically detect and provide custom configurations for expression, sustain, footswitch, and force sensitive resistor type pedals. With their auto-polarity reversing inputs, you can be sure that pedals from different manufacturers will all be supported with zero fuss.

Full Size 5 pin MIDI In / Out DINS
The biggest addition to this new device are the full size MIDI ports on the back. These ports follow the MIDI specification guidelines including an optically isolated MIDI In and support for the complete gantlet of MIDI messages including full length SysEx.

Flexible Routing
All sources of data, including individual pedal inputs, MIDI In, and USB MIDI data can be freely routed to either the USB host or out the 5 pin MIDI Out connection using the optional MIDI Expression Control Application.

Key Commands
Build around a new, powerful and versatile 32bit ARM controller, the MIDI Expression iO supports sending key presses allowing the device to be used in new ways, including non-MIDI applications.
deuns0615

Re: MIDI Expression iO now available

Post by deuns0615 »

Hi,

What would a computer-free set-up look like with the Midi Expression iO? I'd like to control hardware stuff via the 5pin midi out, plugging expression pedals into the MEiO, i assume i'd still have to provide some power through the USB plug? would it work with a standard wall USB charger?

thanks!
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Yes, it does work in 'standalone alone mode' without a USB host. As long as you power the iO with a USB charger or battery pack you are good to go. When the device is powered without a USB host, all MIDI is automatically routed through the MIDI Out port. This sort of setup allows you to merge the expression pedal data with any incoming MIDI from the MIDI IN and pass them through to the MIDI Out.

Regards,
Rob
RobH

Post by RobH »

This looks awesome - and will solve a long-standing problem I've had with controller keyboards not having enough pedal inputs!

Can anyone suggest roughly how long shipping might take to the UK if I add the Priority Shipping option? Need to figure out if I need a plan B for a forthcoming gig :)
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

It should get there in 5-7 days.
unknown

Post by unknown »

Hi, is it possible to make a midi expression pedal out of usual impression pedal with midi expression io?
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I'm not sure what you mean.
mikinova

Post by mikinova »

Can I assign any sysex message address to each expression pedal individually?
Is there a user manual for this product?
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Pedals cannot send out sysEx messages. It's something I could look at implementing. The biggest issue would be the amount of onboard memory required to store the sysEx messages. How long of a message would you be looking to send?

The manual can be found here.
http://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.pdf
mikinova

Post by mikinova »

Thank you for your reply
I need to assign each expression pedal with values ranging from 3 bytes up to 11 bytes.
Is it possible? if yes, how can I assign it?