App no longer recognizes MIDI Expression IO

steve888

App no longer recognizes MIDI Expression IO

Post by steve888 »

Using MIDI Expression Control 2.9.2.9, Linux version
MIDI Expression iO ordered Nov. 2023
Transaction ID: 5R551940MJ262215Y

MIDI Expresson Control installed fine using the install.sh script, and the device was recognized by the Control app. Changed the mode from "MIDI + notes" to "MIDI + notes + keyboard" (to try to experiment with that mode), and app no longer recognized the device. After relaunching Control app, at the "Plug-in MIDI Expression" window (the device was already plugged in; I unplugged it and plugged it in again, relaunched the Control app, tried every permutation of plugging and unplugging and replugging the device and quitting and restarting the Control app I could think of), I clicked the "Restore Control Interfaces." The blue "Unplug and reconnect your MIDI Expression" dialog was displayed. I unplugged the USB cord from the computer, then from the MIDI Expression iO, from both, directly into the computer and alternately from a USB hub.

Because I launched the MIDI Expression Control app from the command line in a terminal, I could see the UDEV rules recognizing the device from the text output to the terminal, but the app did not recognize the device (still displayed the blue screen "Unplug and reconnect your MIDI Expression." Unplugged the device (removed the USB cable from the computer), plugged it back in, UDEV sent more lines of "device: ..." text to the terminal, the MIDI Expression Control app did not respond. Control-C'ed in the terminal to quit the app, started it again with "midiExpression" and was at the "Plug-in MIDI Expression screen again," clicked "Restore Control Interfaces," and the blue unplug-and-reconnect screen appeared again.

The DAW I'm using (but which was not running at the time, and no other app was using the MIDI expression device) does still recognize the device, and the two Yamaha FC7 expression pedals attached to it do work and the MIDI Expression sends MIDI values when the pedals are operated, but without the app I can't change MIDI channels or configure any other aspect of the pedals.

At any rate, I thought there might be some procedure to reset the device or recover from this situation that did not involve the MIDI Expression app, which is the short reason for the long explanation above. Sorry. :)

I'll be happy to try any troubleshooting you suggest, or send the output of some CLI terminal command, or whatever might help. Thanks.

Edit: I have an old laptop with Windows 10. I downloaded and installed the latest version of MIDI Expression Control (2.9.2.9), which worked fine on Windows 10. I plugged the MIDI Expression iO into the laptop and it was immediately recognized by the Control app. Changed the mode from "MIDI + notes + keyboard" to "MIDI + notes," then moved the MIDI Expression back to my Linux computer, plugged it in, started the Linux version of the app, still does not recognize the device, stuck at "Plug-in MIDI Expression" screen, with "Restore Control Interfaces" button at bottom, leading to blue "unplug and reconnect ..."

Not sure what else to try--

MIDI Expression iO model: MEIOB4R2
Current firmware: 2.9.2.9

Output to terminal after launching midiExpression executable (this text was repeated several dozen times)--

Code: Select all

device: vid=16C0, pic=0472, with 3 iface
  type 1, 3, 0
  type 3, 1, 1
  type 3, 0, 0
    IN endpoint 3
    OUT endpoint 4
  hid interface (generic)
  unable claim interface 2
System: Linux Mint 21.3
System info:
Kernel: 6.7.1-1-liquorix-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 11.4.0 Desktop: Xfce 4.18.1
tk: Gtk 3.24.33 info: xfce4-panel wm: xfwm 4.18.0 vt: 7 dm: LightDM 1.30.0
Distro: Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia base: Ubuntu 22.04 jammy
Rob
Site Admin

Re: App no longer recognizes MIDI Expression IO

Post by Rob »

Your timing is impeccable. I just spend the last week rewriting a bunch of the low level device code that had turned into spaghetti over the years as I added support for more operating systems. After I got everything working nicely on Windows, Mac, and iOS, I discovered that Linux was not happy. I *just* found the issue 10 minutes ago. It's a firmware problem. I will push an update as soon as I can, but before I do, I have a *lot* of testing to make sure I didn't break anything in the process.

There is a work around. If you have a Windows on Mac or iOS devices, you can go into the firmware section and disable keyboard (select MIDI + Control Interface) interface and it'll work again.
steve888

Post by steve888 »

Thank you for the response.

The issue(s) do seem to be with the app (I hadn't thought that it might be a firmware issue), and not with the hardware itself. I had an older laptop with Windows 10 installed on the extra disk for dual-boot, and was able to connect and configure the MIDI Expression iO before moving it back to my Linux machine. I'm relieved that I didn't accidentally brick the MIDI Expression iO.

Thank you for engineering such a useful and configurable MIDI device. This morning, before I noticed any issues with the interaction of the app and the device in Linux, I made a post at LinuxMusicians.com trying to spread the word--

https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?p=164154

Anyway, thanks. I'll test whatever Linux updates you produce, on either or both of my Linux installations, and post here at the forum if I see any issues. :)

Best,
Steve
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

The fix for Linux is available here.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2055&p=14364#p14364
steve888

Post by steve888 »

So far, so good! :)

The Linux version of the 2.9.3 beta app couldn't recognize the MIDI Expression iO (so I couldn't update the device's firmware), so I launched my old Windows laptop, downloaded the 2.9.3 beta, plugged in the MIDI Expression iO, app recognized the device, updated it to latest firmware included with 2.9.3 beta of the Control app, and then unplugged the MIDI Expression iO hardware and moved it back to Linux machine, launched MIDI Expression Control app 2.9.3 for Linux, and with the device's firmware already updated, the app discovered and grabbed the device, and appears to be working without issues so far, even in MIDI + Control Interface + Keyboard class-compliance mode. Thanks!

HAVE A GREAT TRIP! :)