Using a pad for CC messages: value 0

A collection of useful threads for troubleshooting issues.
Pim

Using a pad for CC messages: value 0

Post by Pim »

Hi,
I tested the Roland BT-1 to send CC messages. I want to send single values via hitting the pad once. So in the options, I chose "single". Since I want to send a specific value, I changed the max value in the velocity curve screen to the specific value I want to send. Then I turned on "Vel" so when I hit the pad (hard enough), it will send the specific value I need.

This works well so far, when I adjust the velocity curve, I can make it so that even soft hits reliably trigger the CC value I need.

But I encountered one problem: Some commands need a CC value of 0. But when I change the max value in the velocity curve screen to 0 (so now both the min and max are 0), the pad will always send the value 1 (if I understood it correctly, you can see and check which value is sent by looking at the number that appears next to "bank" numbers).

I used a workaround by changing "single" to "on/off" which sends both the value 0 and 127. This works for CC number (let's say CC10) that I'm using right now because there is no CC10 value 127 command.
But this is just a workaround and it wouldn't work if CC10 had a value 0 command AND a value 127 command.

Did I do something wrong? Is there a way to hit a pad and send (exclusively) a CC value 0?

Best regards,
Pim
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Using a pad for CC messages: value 0

Post by Rob »

You don't ever want a pad to trigger with a velocity of 0, so that's why it's still sending a value of 1. It should be an easy fix.
Pim

Post by Pim »

Rob wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:58 pm
You don't ever want a pad to trigger with a velocity of 0, so that's why it's still sending a value of 1. It should be an easy fix.
Hi again, you mean in a future update of the firmware? If yes, do you think it is also easy to implement an option that no matter how hard or soft you hit the pad that it will always send the fixed value you've chosen? I've realized that if you choose a single value that's high (let's say 125), I can only reliably trigger the message when I hit the pad quite hard, even with adjusting the velocity curve. And I don't want to put the gain too high.

I love that you're system provides all the velocity layers in between, but an additional option to just always send the fixed value no matter how hard or soft the pad is hit would be nice. But I don't know how complicated that would be to implement.

Best regards,
Pim
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I will fix the issue, but that's all I will commit to.
Pim

Post by Pim »

Rob wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:39 pm
I will fix the issue, but that's all I will commit to.
Fair enough, I guess the numbers of customers using the eDRUMin as an advanced MIDI controller is too low for it being worthwhile spending much time into implementing new features. Anyways, thank you, Rob, for the support and adding the 0 value.