Gain Control left and right bars?

Ronyd

Gain Control left and right bars?

Post by Ronyd »

When a drum is struck, the amplitude left bar on the Gain control increases. But the right bar amplitude does not move.

I have 2 floor toms which both left and right are matched amplitudes when struck, the rack toms left bar only.

They are DIY piezo internal side mount, piezos wired Roland Style, mono, and using TS cables, except for the snare dual zone TRS. Designed that same way.

the floor toms have a 3 ply head. The rack toms I'm using Evan dbOnes. I was thinking the heads may be the culprit. I removed the head and tapped the piezo, same result with only left bar showing amplitude.

What drives the left and right bars - improper piezo voltage detected; possible piezo replacement ?
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Gain Control left and right bars?

Post by Rob »

After reading your post, its not clear what the problem you are having is. If you have the input set to stereo and are using a TS cable to connect your mono pads, then you should only expect the left bar to move.

I'm guessing the inputs for your floor tom are either set to mono, or you are using a TRS connector and have the piezo wired to both the tip and ring.
Ronyd

Post by Ronyd »

Hi rob

Defintely using TS cables. I’ll recheck the to make sure each drum is set to mono pad type. Thought i checked that but at least you answeted my question mono vs stereo

Thankx
Ronyd

Post by Ronyd »

Rob wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:54 am
After reading your post, its not clear what the problem you are having is. If you have the input set to stereo and are using a TS cable to connect your mono pads, then you should only expect the left bar to move.

I'm guessing the inputs for your floor tom are either set to mono, or you are using a TRS connector and have the piezo wired to both the tip and ring.
Hi Rob,

I've tried to upload mov and mp4 files and png files but get HTTP error? Could not load 4 jpegs. attached are jpegs sequence for mono input. Next reply post has for stereo input.

So for further investigating the issue: striking just one of the floor toms, but all the toms, 2 kick triggers, an older DDRum mesh pad, and a BT1 have same result:
- I have to switch the input wiring mode to stereo input to obtain the left bar (ie., mono).

Wiring connection:
piezo ceramic + to Tip; piezo brass - to shield.

I have checked each with a multimeter from the piezo back to the cable connector (side that plugs into the eDrumin input.

kindof baffled at this point.

thanks for your patience.

Ron
Attachments
eDrumin_mono_input.jpg
eDrumin_mono_input.jpg (104.43 KiB) Viewed 164 times
eDrumin_mono_input-gain-L+R.jpg
eDrumin_mono_input-gain-L+R.jpg (103.32 KiB) Viewed 164 times
Last edited by Ronyd on Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ronyd

Post by Ronyd »

Referring to last post :

Stereo input jpeg sequence.
Attachments
eDrumin-stereo_input.jpg
eDrumin-stereo_input.jpg (111.1 KiB) Viewed 165 times
eDrumin_stereo_input_gain-L-only.jpg
eDrumin_stereo_input_gain-L-only.jpg (108.8 KiB) Viewed 165 times
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Ronyd wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:13 am
So for further investigating the issue: striking just one of the floor toms, but all the toms, 2 kick triggers, an older DDRum mesh pad, and a BT1 have same result:
- I have to switch the input wiring mode to stereo input to obtain the left bar (ie., mono).
Nope. Everything is as it should be. Your mono ones might look like two bars, but it's actually just one with the background of the slider in the middle--notice how both sides move in unison.
Ronyd

Post by Ronyd »

Rob wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:48 am
Ronyd wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:13 am
Nope. Everything is as it should be. Your mono ones might look like two bars, but it's actually just one with the background of the slider in the middle--notice how both sides move in unison.
Hi Rob,
so i should just keep input to mono?

thankx for clarifying

Ron
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Yes, except for the BT-1.
Ronyd

Post by Ronyd »

Rob wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:43 pm
Yes, except for the BT-1.
Hey Rob,

Do i gain anything using 2 inputs for 2 kick triggers vs just 1 input using a splitter for both?

Thankx