Master choke on one cymbal?

kevinbeckman1983

Master choke on one cymbal?

Post by kevinbeckman1983 »

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but does anyone know if there is a way to make one of your cymbals that has a choke function, the choke for all of your other cymbals? Maybe using midi note instead of after touch? And making the midi note for choke, the same note for every cymbal? And then midi mapping in the VST so cymbal choke is also MIDI note not aftertouch, and the same midi note on every symbol? Is this nonsense, or does anybody know if this might work, or work in certain VST s? Anyhow, my point is trying to manufacture some sort of choke, for my mono split cymbal pads on one edrumin input ;) Thanks for any advice! Btw, I did just order an edrumin10, so I'll have a free pedal spot coming, if there's no other way than a foot switch mute/choke/midi panic button with a pedal.
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Master choke on one cymbal?

Post by Rob »

I'm trying to imagine myself hitting one cymbal and then grabbing another to choke the first. It seems awkward. Back in the day, I played around with choking cymbals by seeing if the signal dropped off quicker than expected. It would work if you choked the cymbal right after the hit, but not reliably enough.
If you are in DAW environment, you might have a MIDI transformer that could copy the aftertouch messages and target them for each of your cymbals.
kevinbeckman1983

Lol!
As usual, you ooze knowledge sir! And you reply faster than I can finish posting in a different thread :-)

Yes, I use the e-drum in straight into the PC, and a d a w. Got a copy of Steven slate drums 5.5 on sale, the full version and an expansion pack. But I'll look into the MIDI route that you mentioned!

Yes, definitely a little awkward choking a different cymbal.... But I'm new to e-drumming, so most of it's awkward to a veteran acoustic drummer already, LOL!

But yes, I'm struggling without all my glorious cymbal collection, and a side snare, and all the other crap I have on my acoustic sets, LOL! I'm hopeful to figure out some weird way to choke mono splits still, but I did just get one of your e-drumin10s, so that's already helping a ton!
kevinbeckman1983

Wait... I might be lost again, or may have actually understood something you said LOL! When you said midi transformer in my d a w, did you just mean its own midi mapping, for controllers and peripherals? I'm new with edrums, but pretty decent with my daw actually, or just haven't used a ton of peripherals with it. But now that I'm thinking about it, I do have a mini keyboard with some extra buttons and faders that I used to use, and one of the jog Wheels sent after touch messages? I do remember there were ways to reset all of the buttons, or re midi map them rather, and you could make some kind of adjustments to the aftertouch from the jog wheel... Are those the kind of adjustments you meant by a midi transformer in my d a w? Or I'm dumb again, lol, is a midi transformer a plug-in I should look up?
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

What you want is a MIDI effect that can duplicate MIDI messages. In Cubase there's one called MIDI Transformer. I'm sure most other DAWs have one too.
kevinbeckman1983

Thanks rob! I'll look into that.