metal 3 zone bell sensitivity

Mr_Bluesguy

Re: metal 3 zone bell sensitivity

Post by Mr_Bluesguy »

Hi Rob - I'm still struggling with my 20" LV ride in the 3 zone metal mode using a bell piezo instead of switch. I tried your suggestion of placing some resistance in series with the piezo, it was a 100K pot actually, and zero to 100k ohms made no difference. I switched out piezos to weed out any bad actors, no success. So I backed off to the two zone metal, as I had that functioning satisfactorily at one point. I think that may have been one or two software versions back.There is no bell action at all now (as seen with the threshold dial indicator), just as in the three mode zone.
Whats interesting is that the edrumin screen shows very small amplitude of the bell piezo when the bell zone is struck, yet the o-scope tells a very different story.
Bell Strike
Bell Strike
Edrumin_Ride Bell Strike.jpg (51.89 KiB) Viewed 122 times
Below are the 2 channel bow and bell hits on the o-scope. The blue trace is the bow hit and the red trace is the bell hit.
The bell piezo shows plenty of action, more than is indicated on the edrumin waveform.
Bell Strike
Bell Strike
o-scope bell strike.jpg (54.97 KiB) Viewed 122 times
Bow strike
Bow strike
o-scope bow strike.jpg (56.59 KiB) Viewed 122 times
All edrumin and o-scope measurements were made through the same cabling
Does any of this make any sense?
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

You have the pot wired up as a rheostat and have it connected to the bow piezo of the cymbal?
Mr_Bluesguy

Post by Mr_Bluesguy »

So, I committed some dumbassery by inadvertently placing the pot (wired up as a rheostat) in line with the bell piezo instead of the bow. After fixing that, I configured as a dual zone metal to baseline the functionality. I got it working nicely with good separation and consistency. THEN, leaving the piezo setup as it was (including the rheostat setting), I configured the ride as a 3 zone metal setup with the appropriate settings using two inputs. Again, no bell action whatsoever despite a full range (0-100k ohm) of adjustments of the pot. Interestingly, the bell icon on the channel pad type indicator (on an edrumin4) very briefly flashed with a bell hit, but the bell strike indicator in the bottom right hand corner didn't indicate a strike, but the bow indicator did. No action seen on the threshold dial. At this point I'm asking myself if I have wired things up correctly. Having been unable to find any specific wiring diagrams for this configuration, I've just assumed that the input channel is wired as: bow piezo to tip/sleeve, and edge switch to ring/sleeve on the jack to the ride input channel, with the adjacent bell channel wired as piezo to tip/sleeve. Is this correct?

For anyone reading this post, have you successfully set up a 3 zone metal cymbal, and how did you accomplish it? Have you spotted any possible errors in my description?
Thanks to you Rob and anyone else replying.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

For compatibility with other manufacturers, your bell piezo needs to be connected to the ring and not the tip.

I'll think about adding another wiring diagram to the manual.
Mr_Bluesguy

Post by Mr_Bluesguy »

Thanks. If I were to go back to a switch for bell triggering, it should still be wired to ring/sleeve on the bell channel just like the piezo would, correct?
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

That is correct.
Mr_Bluesguy

Post by Mr_Bluesguy »

Thanks Rob, 3 zone working correctly now. I think adding a wiring diagram to the manual is an excellent idea, especially for guys like me that really don't have much experience with modules and are unaware of manufacturers wiring conventions.