3rd Party Pads To DTX-PROX Via eDRUMin Interface

bsampson

3rd Party Pads To DTX-PROX Via eDRUMin Interface

Post by bsampson »

I've researched the heck out of my issue, but I can't find a definitive answer, and I'd prefer to have one before spending thousands on shells, cymbals, hardware, module, laptop, VSTi, etc., so I defer to your expertise, and I'm grateful for any assistance provided.

I'd like to run drum-tec pro 3 pads and either AE Hybrid or Field cymbals to a Yamaha DTX-PROX module.

So, my questions:

1. Can I plug an eDRUMin 4 into an 8 to get twelve inputs (I need eleven)? My understanding is that the first eDRUMin doesn't need a host port, only the second interface does.
2. In your opinion/experience, will whatever comes out of the eDRUMin (from the above pads) play nice with the PROX module? I'm hoping that someone has first-hand knowledge with this module.

Thanks again!
Last edited by bsampson on Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rob
Site Admin

Re: 3rd Party Pads/Cymbals To DTX-PROX Via eDRUMin Interface

Post by Rob »

Yes, you can connect an ED4 to the host port on an ED8 to get 12 inputs. I don't have any experience with a PROX module, but it's my understanding that Yamaha does indeed allow you to trigger additional sounds via external MIDI--at least it has with past generations.

I don't have any field cymbals and only limited experience with a single drum-tec snare (which triggered great, but had positional sensing issues due to the 3-ply mesh--works fabulously with 2-ply), but both those companies have eDRUMin modules, so they might be able to give you better information on their respective forums.
lalo

Post by lalo »

Non-Yamaha pads connected to a yamaha dtx-pro will be all too hot, Drum-tec has made a couple of videos with drum-tec jam and atv pads which have a side trigger and they appear to trigger great, it's center triggers that should pose issues, oh and the cymbals will work but only 2 zones.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMsH41EthCo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NItZtEqi5d0
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

lalo wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:00 am
Non-Yamaha pads connected to a yamaha dtx-pro will be all too hot.
I think you're right about that, however Non-Yamaha pads connected to an eDRUMin which is then connected to the DTX-PROX should be fine (AFAIK).
bsampson

Re: 3rd Party Pads To DTX-PROX Via eDRUMin Interface

Post by bsampson »

Thanks for your input, Rob and lalo.

Rob, in your first response, what did you mean by, "both those companies have eDRUMin modules"?

Drum-Tec told me only the Jam pads work with the PROX module because Jam pads have lower output. ATV pads use triple sensors, but I guess they're still lower output and therefore work with Yamaha modules. The pro 3 snare has a switch to lower output voltage, but Drum-Tec didn't mention whether that would allow them to be directly connected to the PROX.

The PROX has MIDI In (PRO doesn't), and Simon Edgoose said, "If you look at the edrumin interfaces from Audiofront, they will allow you to attach any pad from almost any manufacturer to the DTX and get great triggering", so it seems Rob is correct on that account. I was just hoping for a more definitive answer on that, but it seems like few people like Yamaha modules. Even manufacturers of add-ons, eg: cymbals, test on Yamaha modules.

The pro 3 pads do have the 3-ply mesh, so that may be another problem, as indicated by Rob. I guess I could try swapping out for 2-ply.