FR: Combining 3-zone and bell sense

pos

FR: Combining 3-zone and bell sense

Post by pos »

Hi

I have a 14" ATC cymbal that I currently use as a ride.
AFAIK it does use a switch for the bell, and requires quite some velocity to actually trigger as a bell when connected as a 3 zone cymbal.
On the other hand it also works as a 2-zone cymbal with bell sense, in which case it can also be made to trigger with lower velocity depending on the bell sense setting.

I get quite a few miss triggers in both modes, and when set to a low value I also get false bell triggers with bell sense in 2-zone mode.

I really feel that combining both modes (ie bell sense in 3-zone mode) could help filling the gaps and get more consistent triggering.
Maybe bell sense could be favored for low velocity hits, while higher velocity ones would rely more on the switch?
The interface could be similar to the one for the rim shot range.
Rob
Site Admin

Re: FR: Combining 3-zone and bell sense

Post by Rob »

Bell Sense wasn't designed your your cymbals, so I'm surprised it works at all. I've thought previously about combining the two methods, but never got around to seriously looking at it because Bell Sense for the supported cymbals is reliable enough on its own.
pos

Post by pos »

Hi Rob,

Thank you for your response.
I did not know bell sense was favored over 3-zone approach for supported cymbals. That is pretty impressive!

If you want to add the 14" ATV to the list of supported cymbals I'd be more than happy to send you all the data you might need.

By the way, I am very impressed by your work. I am an audio software developer myself and I know the kind of time and effort it takes to develop and maintain these things. The seamless software/hardware integration and the fact that it "just works" is amazing!
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Adding bell sense support for a particular cymbal is a lot of work. It involves capturing a lot of data and running it through a machine learning algorithm. Maybe I'll buy one of the ATV cymbals and see what kind of results I can achieve. I already have more cymbals that I could possibly need, so the biggest issue is figuring out what to do with the cymbal when I'm done.