Magnatrack 20" Cymbolic dual zone ride settings

Barge

Re: Magnatrack 20" Cymbolic dual zone ride settings

Post by Barge »

This is the adapter I'm using. I tried to connect just the bow piezo in any of those two plugs, and it never worked. ( by the way there's no choice of bell and bow in the adapter, so I think each plug does the same job ) I suppose the adapter just transform the two mono piezos plug in into stereo out?

The bell piezo instead worked on both. When both piezos are connected ( and I tried swapping everything ) I hit the cymbal and I hear both sounds at the same time ) but I think it triggers from only one piezo ( the bell piezo )
Attachments
71kOOiC+MSL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
71kOOiC+MSL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (145.02 KiB) Viewed 1011 times
Barge

Post by Barge »

After switching the bow piezo with a new one, it looks like everything is working, but the eDRUMin setting must be "dual-zone metal cymbal with piezo/switch option" ( and not piezo/piezo with bell is piezo selected, it won't work ).
I hope this will help other people that had my same problem.
Thank you for your help Rob
leem

Post by leem »

How well does the eDrumIn work with the magnatrack triggers? I have a set of L80’s with magnatrack triggers attached. Single zone on hihat, crashes, and 2 piezos on ride (bell and bow)
Mr_Bluesguy

Post by Mr_Bluesguy »

One guy's experience only, but I have a 20" LV cymbal outfitted with a pair of Magnatrack sensors that works extremely well. Great separation, no double triggering.
The larger the cymbal, the less high frequency hash there is to deal with, so success with dual piezos is possible, but the problems increase with decreasing cymbal diameter. In terms of rim rubber dampening, not much is needed. I have a section mounted at the front of the cymbal that covers roughly 1/3 of the circumference. That has an added benefit of keeping the cymbal "front weighted" which is a very effective anti-spin device
leem

Post by leem »

That's good to hear. I have similar success with the 2 piezo Ride on my Mimic Pro. But the Mimic still has some issues with the hihat(14") and crashes (both 16"). how is the hihat tracking with eDRUMin and the LV cymbals? I would like to keep the rubber dampeners off the cymbals for look, feel, and ambient sound purposes
Mr_Bluesguy

Post by Mr_Bluesguy »

I have a single magnatrack piezo on the 14" LV hat and an unconventional switch underneath the top hat for dual zone operation. This combo works very well and is easy to control with edrumin. I use a translucent rim rubber on the top hat only (visible in photo) which isn't that great visually, but much better than the black style. As for my 16" and 18" crashes with magnatracks, they work great with edrumin for single zone operation without any rim rubbers. For dual zone, your absolutely going to have to use some sort of dampening and just live with the look and ambient sound. The feel isn't really affected much.
clear rim edge.jpg
clear rim edge.jpg (100.52 KiB) Viewed 852 times
leem

Post by leem »

That looks cool. Do you mind me asking where you got the translucent rubber? I tried using surgical tubing (like jman used on rims) but that stuff is pretty thick and hard.

Also - what kind of switch do you have?

This is encouraging, I am going to order an edrumin to test it.
Mr_Bluesguy

Post by Mr_Bluesguy »

Amazon- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B37 ... =UTF8&th=1
Use clear silicone RTV to adhere it to the cymbal. Keep the silicone near the edge of the rubber so air can reach it. Its actually moisture in the air that cures it.
My "switch" is actually a section of piezo cable, not the kind used as a guitar pick up, but the type used for traffic sensors. The don't behave like a disc piezo sensor. They react to impact or bending with a single pulse. It can be mounted to the cymbal backside if you follow a few guidelines. I wont go into detail here, but if you want to try it I can give you additional info.
Definitely get an edrumin. Its an powerful well engineered tool and you wont be disappointed.
leem

Post by leem »

I would love to hear more detail about how you setup the piezo strip, and would try to do the same to my hihat

Do you by chance also have any presets that you can share for your magnatrack cymbal/triggers?
leem

Post by leem »

could you also share link or product name that you used for the piezo strip?