Metal 3-Zone Ride - Edge Sense?

Building your own? Need help with your designs? You've come to the right place.
Ronyd

Metal 3-Zone Ride - Edge Sense?

Post by Ronyd »

Read the manual about edge sense. Looking at the Edge Threshold , tapping the edge does not cause the meter to increase.

Is this an indication that a Metal Low volume 3 zone Ride is not supported for edge sense?
Attachments
Metal 3-zone Ride.jpg
Metal 3-zone Ride.jpg (109.27 KiB) Viewed 139 times
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Metal 3-Zone Ride - Edge Sense?

Post by Rob »

No. Since you've posted this in the DIY thread, I would assume it indicates a wiring / mechanical issue. You are using a membrane switch for your edge sensor?
Ronyd

Post by Ronyd »

Rob, using a goedrum membrane switch. For the bow/edge jack: roland style, piezo ceramic wired to sleeve, brass wired to tip. Membrane switch Wired to the ring and sleeve. The choke is working as expected so I assume the wiring is correct.
The membrane is installed on top covered with a rubber edge trim
Ronyd

Post by Ronyd »

Ronyd wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 11:41 am
Rob, using a goedrum membrane switch. For the bow/edge jack: roland style, piezo ceramic wired to sleeve, brass wired to tip. Membrane switch Wired to the ring and sleeve. The choke is working as expected so I assume the wiring is correct.
The membrane is installed on top covered with a rubber edge trim
Attachments
Bottom
Bottom
IMG_6455.jpeg (200 KiB) Viewed 132 times
IMG_6454.jpeg (197.17 KiB) Viewed 132 times
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

If the choke is working, then you don't have a wiring issue. So in your original post, you said 'tapping' the edge. Assume by this you mean 'hitting the edge of the cymbal with your drum stick' doesn't cause the meter in the 'Edge Thresh' control to move?
Ronyd

Post by Ronyd »

Rob wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 12:05 pm
If the choke is working, then you don't have a wiring issue. So in your original post, you said 'tapping' the edge. Assume by this you mean 'hitting the edge of the cymbal with your drum stick' doesn't cause the meter in the 'Edge Thresh' control to move?
Rob, correct. Hitting the edge with stix does not cause the Edge Thresh control to move

quick video:
https://youtu.be/7gf5QIavWY4
Ronyd

Post by Ronyd »

Hey Rob,

Looks like i am getting edge triggering. I realized that i need to not only hit the rubber edge with the shaft of the stick, but also make contact with the bow also. Not sure if this is how to play crashing the ride with DIY cymbals versus crashing a ride on an acoustic kit.