Edge Membranes for Crashes?

Building your own? Need help with your designs? You've come to the right place.
Ronyd

Edge Membranes for Crashes?

Post by Ronyd »

Though i new that answer to this but my question is: :?:
- I rarely choke crashes, so If I wire up crashes as single zone, do i still need an edge membrane? I was thinking that it's also used for edge sensing vs. bow? and if not used, how does eDrumin deal with no edge membrane?

I'll wire a single zone up again and see what happens :?
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Edge Membranes for Crashes?

Post by Rob »

The edge membrane is use to detect both edge and choke. A single zone crash will only trigger bow and assuming it's set to a mono input or on a splitter, the membrane connection would be completely ignored by eDRUMin, and therefore unnecessary. You might be able to use 'edge sense' with a single zone (mono) crash, but I'll not sure how reliable that would be.
Ronyd

Post by Ronyd »

Rob wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:44 pm
The edge membrane is use to detect both edge and choke. A single zone crash will only trigger bow and assuming it's set to a mono input or on a splitter, the membrane connection would be completely ignored by eDRUMin, and therefore unnecessary. You might be able to use 'edge sense' with a single zone (mono) crash, but I'll not sure how reliable that would be.
Hi Rob,

Is the edge sense register and send a specific key hit? Reason I'm asking is Addictive Drums only has Cymbal and Cymbal Choke. What am i gaining using edge sense detection, a shorter decay is Addicative Drums can handle an edge key hit?

sorry this is something i never thought about. Another hmmmmm....

thankx Rob
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Is this a metal cymbal? Edge sense probably won't work on metal cymbals. Assuming you don't choke your cymbals, then you won't gain anything else when using AD.
Ronyd

Post by Ronyd »

Rob wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:01 am
Is this a metal cymbal? Edge sense probably won't work on metal cymbals. Assuming you don't choke your cymbals, then you won't gain anything else when using AD.
Hi rob,
yes low volume (eg., Ziljian L80, etc) metal cymbals. thank you
AKA Wayne

Post by AKA Wayne »

Use an edge membrane. It's well worth it. I also have a new method for additional damping. I'll post a picture later. Mine work great.