How does this splitter work? Can one be made for edrumin?

Building your own? Need help with your designs? You've come to the right place.
kevinbeckman1983

How does this splitter work? Can one be made for edrumin?

Post by kevinbeckman1983 »

https://youtu.be/L3Jvu_E682o?si=F3VZgD65ioHzvshk
"The BEST splitter for your E Drums"

So... What now? At 0:30 and 4:38, this splitter gives choke on one cymbal still? I thought no splits could maintain choke for either/any cymbal?

Also he's going on about Roland modules needing a resistor in splits...why? And all that stuff about regular splitters not allowing simultaneous hits... That's not something that matters to the edrumin is it, or would resistors somewhere in the splitter still help somehow?

I can solder, and have even made a zourman style cable for running a lemon 3 zone ride on one edrumin input - but I barely understand what any of these things are really doing. I'm new to e drums, but I have built diy guitar pedal kits ands loads of cables, but only with good instructions not great understanding.

Is this splitter in the video something that anyone understands/knows how to make?

Beyond this splitter, are there any other ways with the control app and or vst, to mess with midi choke assignments, to potentially choke some split cymbals, by say, physically choking an entirely different cymbal that is plugged in to an input via trs? Maybe changing the chokes to midi note, and changing the midi note for choke on the other split cymbals to the same midi note for choking them all at the same time too? Creating a master choke for other same midi choke note cymbals?

Again, I barely know what I'm talking about here with most stuff. Sorry if this is asked and answered somewhere.
MisterE

Re: How does this splitter work? Can one be made for edrumin?

Post by MisterE »

kevinbeckman1983 wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:37 pm
https://youtu.be/L3Jvu_E682o?si=F3VZgD65ioHzvshk
"The BEST splitter for your E Drums"

So... What now? At 0:30 and 4:38, this splitter gives choke on one cymbal still? I thought no splits could maintain choke for either/any cymbal?

Also he's going on about Roland modules needing a resistor in splits...why? And all that stuff about regular splitters not allowing simultaneous hits... That's not something that matters to the edrumin is it, or would resistors somewhere in the splitter still help somehow?

I can solder, and have even made a zourman style cable for running a lemon 3 zone ride on one edrumin input - but I barely understand what any of these things are really doing. I'm new to e drums, but I have built diy guitar pedal kits ands loads of cables, but only with good instructions not great understanding.

Is this splitter in the video something that anyone understands/knows how to make?

Beyond this splitter, are there any other ways with the control app and or vst, to mess with midi choke assignments, to potentially choke some split cymbals, by say, physically choking an entirely different cymbal that is plugged in to an input via trs? Maybe changing the chokes to midi note, and changing the midi note for choke on the other split cymbals to the same midi note for choking them all at the same time too? Creating a master choke for other same midi choke note cymbals?

Again, I barely know what I'm talking about here with most stuff. Sorry if this is asked and answered somewhere.
Those splitters are specific to Roland modules, and that application requires a resistor. For the eDRUMin, you don't need those special splitters. You can use standard TRS splitters that split tip from ring.
kevinbeckman1983

Thanks so much! Any idea if some arrangement of resistor(s) in a splitter, or some other custom splitter might still allow choke on one of two connected cymbals like this one seems to ( but through the edrumin, again, not a Roland module)?
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

A splitter would not be able to make that work. It's something that could be enabled in firmware but would involve applying a DC voltage to the piezo of the second cymbal. It would stress the piezo damaging it over time --probably not a good idea.
kevinbeckman1983

Sorry rob, I didn't see your reply - thanks for always following up so quickly sir!

Last things, other than my other topic, re " master cymbal choke"...

1. Apologies again, for my limited understanding: how bad/any idea how long the dc current you mentioned might take to make piezzos die or become unusable? Sorry to pester. Just wondering. If it's weeks, or less, I definitely agree, that would be annoying. If you mean, like shorten the number of years it works, etc... or limit to a year, maybe 6 months...
I'm just saying, I'm a drummer, guitarist, decent with a soldering iron and good instructions... I built some pretty nice piazo stomper boxes. Anyways, for people like me if it's a reasonable amount of time at all, resoldering a new piezzo in the place every once in a while isn't that big a deal. Especially on an e kit, with less ongoing upkeep than my acoustic kits. Sorry so long winded, that's what I'm getting at :-)

2. Again, potentially another dumb question: I don't know how most things work, work beyond cables, but I can solder things together without burning out parts, lol. Is there some other component I could solder in line, or in the cymbal jack area perhaps, to protect the piezzo if needed/able ( assuming I had a firmware upgrade that ran the way you were talking about).

Always feel free to give short no answers, lol!
Also the software side of things may end up getting me to choke able mono splits in some fashion too, lol. I haven't given up that way either.

Thanks again!