TCRT5000 IR Sensor Module for HiHat controller

Building your own? Need help with your designs? You've come to the right place.
Lemmy

TCRT5000 IR Sensor Module for HiHat controller

Post by Lemmy »

Hi all, I'm doing some tests making my own triggers for cymbals. I have rigged up an IR Sensor module for the hihat controller, taking power from the eDrumin pedal cable. I'm sending the midi from eDrumin to EZDrummer. to It seems to be working fine apart from the splash. I can see in the eDrumin software that splash is rarely triggered. I can see that timing is a key factor here, but is it also about abrupt changes of values for travel?

I have tried tweaking the splash sense range box, but I'm not having much luck. After quick pedal presses the 'splash sense' graph line most often curves down left to right but doesn't peak again, which is what's required for a splash. Any tips? I will try tweaking the sensitivity of the sensor. Just wondered if my results are related to a) my sensor type or b) the amount of power supplied to the sensor. I seem to be getting only about 3.2V from the pedal socket.
Lemmy

Re: TCRT5000 IR Sensor Module for HiHat controller

Post by Lemmy »

To answer my own question, it seems that the reflective material has an important effect on the sensor. I am getting better results with dark foam-like materials than with white card. There is also a trim pot on the sensor which sets the sensitivity which is useful. After messing with these I am able to produce splash sounds.
Finally, in the mapping page of EZ Drummer, I had to choose 'E-Drum Optimized' under Openness Transitions for the hihat. Otherwise the software would try to blend the splash with the open pedal sound as the pedal moved.

I guess I will try a hall effect or FSR sensor next to see if they're more predictable in their behaviour.
Ronyd

Post by Ronyd »

Lemmy wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:17 pm
To answer my own question, it seems that the reflective material has an important effect on the sensor. I am getting better results with dark foam-like materials than with white card. There is also a trim pot on the sensor which sets the sensitivity which is useful. After messing with these I am able to produce splash sounds.
Finally, in the mapping page of EZ Drummer, I had to choose 'E-Drum Optimized' under Openness Transitions for the hihat. Otherwise the software would try to blend the splash with the open pedal sound as the pedal moved.

I guess I will try a hall effect or FSR sensor next to see if they're more predictable in their behaviour.
lemmy thankx for the update. I also use the same sensor. My design is 3D print provided by AKA Wayne) The reflective top color is orange which works fine. Maybe @AKA Wayne can chime in.
AKA Wayne

Post by AKA Wayne »

I use a a red, smooth and shiny 3d printed reflector. Also had a white one at one point. Didn't notice any difference really. The trim pot is supposed to set the switch sensitivity.
Ronyd

Post by Ronyd »

I'm using a yellow base with green reflector (previously orange reflector) . Seems to be fine.

the splash was also a PIA. After talking with Rob, really have to calibrate the pedal and hihat correctly. On youtube he has a great video on this :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkXn69tJ3KQ