Shorting ring for cymbal choke

Building your own? Need help with your designs? You've come to the right place.
loverchese

Shorting ring for cymbal choke

Post by loverchese »

I am converting a LV cymbal to electric compatible with edrum in and I am trying to figure out how to make the cymbal choke. From my understanding you can get a third articulation on one stereo jack by shorting the ring with the ground. Would I be able to use this for my choke? So bow piezo is connected to tip, edge connected to ring, and some sort of mechanism that will short the ring. Is this idea compatible with edrumin?
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Shorting ring for cymbal choke

Post by Rob »

Typically cymbals use a membrane switch to trigger the edge. eDRUMin measures the signal on the bow, and if the edge switch is activated, it triggers an edge note.

This same switch is used for choking. If the switch is activated when the cymbal isn't being hit, the eDRUMin will send aftertouch to choke the cymbal.
loverchese

Re: Shorting ring for cymbal choke

Post by loverchese »

Oh cool I didnt know thats how that worked. I thought they just used two different piezos. So if the bow is connected to the tip of the jack, the edge is triggered by a switch, aswell as the choke, what is the ring of the jack typically supposed to be connected to in a standard 2 zone cymbal with choke?