Help with hi-hat closure

Building your own? Need help with your designs? You've come to the right place.
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Help with hi-hat closure

Post by Rob »

Mr_Bluesguy wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:54 am
(1) When opening the app, half of the icons on the left side of the screen are missing, as are the edrumin logo and icons of the active devices at the top on the left side. Pressing the "restore" button brings the missing icons back. This happens consistently upon opening.
That's probably because the images haven't finished rendering. Why OS are you on and what "restore" button are you talking about?
(2) Occasionally, when striking the hat while open then immediately closing, the "closed" sound isn't triggered, the Level 1 or 2 "partially open" sound is triggered and remains active for subsequent "closed" hits. The slightest opening of the hats restores the fully closed sound. This seems to happen randomly, and I spent a good deal of time trying to identify conditions that might cause this to happen. Doesn't seem to matter how rapid the strike/close events happen or even the starting position of the event. It's just inconsistent and unpredictable. I did ensure the hat was properly calibrated and observed that the hat position indicator was tracking the actual position quickly and accurately.
Are you using the "Steady" control on the hihat pedal input?
Mr_Bluesguy

Post by Mr_Bluesguy »

(1) Screenshot of hat controller page. Notice the missing icons on left side. The "restore" button is the middle one between the minimize and close buttons in the upper right corner. Maybe its actually called "resize". Anyway, hitting that restores all the icons. I'm using Windows 10 on a 13" laptop.
edrumin screen shot.jpg
edrumin screen shot.jpg (81.62 KiB) Viewed 10785 times
(2) I tried a full range of settings on the "Steady" function, all to no avail. Settings over 90 may have made a marginal improvement, but its really
hard to say due to the randomness of the phenomenon.
Mr_Bluesguy

Post by Mr_Bluesguy »

Just wanted to follow up on the random partial closure problem you've been helping me with. Got it solved, and you'll be happy to know it was actually on the SD3 side of things, not edrumin.
On the midi/e-drum settings page, on the hi-hat pedal tab, there's a section in the lower right corner called "openness transitions". In the drop down, I had been using the "optimized for e-drum' setting. Counter-intuitively, switching this to the "library default" setting magically made the problem go away.
For anyone else experimenting with this, make sure you've selected "default (pass through)" function on the pre-set tab.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I finally got around to assembling my sensor and making an enclosure. The enclosure has a base, which I simply glued on the hihat pedal. The part with the sensor in it can slide on rails along the base, allowing for fine tuning the sensor position. Works great! I've got parts to make 10 of them, I just have to decide how to give them out. Might make a good upgrade for people using a Yamaha HH135.

circuit.jpg
circuit.jpg (26.83 KiB) Viewed 10766 times
profile.jpg
profile.jpg (35.59 KiB) Viewed 10766 times
installed.jpg
installed.jpg (113.77 KiB) Viewed 10766 times
MisterE

Post by MisterE »

Rob wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:26 am
I finally got around to assembling my sensor and making an enclosure. The enclosure has a base, which I simply glued on the hihat pedal. The part with the sensor in it can slide on rails along the base, allowing for fine tuning the sensor position. Works great! I've got parts to make 10 of them, I just have to decide how to give them out. Might make a good upgrade for people using a Yamaha HH135.

circuit.jpg
profile.jpg
installed.jpg
Hi Rob, I would be very interested and grateful to try one of your hall effect sensors out and reporting back my results.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I can't see why not. You've helped out around here, so I would be happy to send you one. Will have to wait a bit though, because I apparently don't have anymore of those TRS jacks kicking around. I'll need to get my assembly house to send me some extras with my next batch of devices or go through the paifull process of trying to salvage some from old prototypes.
AKA Wayne

Post by AKA Wayne »

Hey Rob. I'd love to try this out as well. I'll trade you for one of my optical controllers. I'd love to hear your feedback on it. Thanks!
Mr_Bluesguy

Post by Mr_Bluesguy »

Slick little package, Rob. Looks pro, not DIY. It would be cool to have this and maybe an optical sensor package available on your product list.
dsteinschneider

Post by dsteinschneider »

Hi Rob,

That is a great looking Hall Effect package. I would be interested in buying one when you're ready.

Doug
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

When the jacks get here (probably sometime in January), I'll post a link to purchase them. I'll only have 10 units and just charge about 15 USD to cover the shipping. I'll post a link here when it's all good to go.