Help with hi-hat closure

Building your own? Need help with your designs? You've come to the right place.
dsteinschneider

Re: Help with hi-hat closure

Post by dsteinschneider »

Mr_Bluesguy wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:16 pm
Hey, dsteinschneider- thanks for your input. Nice design for the sensor mechanism. It brought to light a potentially important point that I hadn't thought about before. In your application, the magnetic field approaches the active sensor surface from a right angle, as opposed to my setup where the field approaches on the same plane as the sensor surface, albeit on a slight arc. Intuitively, one could see how that could have a significant affect on both response time and linearity. I'm going to run some comparison experiments using an o-scope. Glad you brought this point up. Does your set up give you all of the response characteristics you desire? Is it extremely playable?
My green bar isn't as wide as some other people have posted but with 2.5 cm travel I get a very linear response in Superior Drummer when in the Settings page for the hi-hat CC controller Openess and Response as I press the pedal from open to tight. The pedal presses for hi-hat closed and splash work well. My primary instrument is bass, I recently joined a band with a drummer who is very interested in doing a session where we adjust it for his playing. I'll report back after that.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Mr_Bluesguy wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:23 am
It seems as if the pedal controller doesn't always send a "hat closed" note. It seems to mostly happen if the hats haven't been opened at least half way to full before closing.
I've posted version 2.3.1 which includes a second triggering algorithm that's better suited to hihat setups that use a real hihat stand. It should allow you to trigger pedal notes without needing to have to hats open all the way to 75% open.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2028
AKA Wayne

Post by AKA Wayne »

Rob wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:58 am
Mr_Bluesguy wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:23 am
It seems as if the pedal controller doesn't always send a "hat closed" note. It seems to mostly happen if the hats haven't been opened at least half way to full before closing.
I've posted version 2.3.1 which includes a second triggering algorithm that's better suited to hihat setups that use a real hihat stand. It should allow you to trigger pedal notes without needing to have to hats open all the way to 75% open.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2028
Nice. Thanks Rob!
dsteinschneider

I loaded 2.3.1 - I recalibrated the pedal (Ludwig hi-hat stand with hall effect) and the Yamaha PCY135. The pedal close and splashes are easier for me to play.
Mr_Bluesguy

Post by Mr_Bluesguy »

Rob_
Just giving you an update on the hat closure problem. So I totally revamped my sensor set up (twice actually!) built around the DRV5056A1QLPGM that you recommended. Wow-I easily have 3x the voltage swing that SE49 had. Went to a smaller magnet as well. The hat plays easier and is a bit more responsive, but the I still couldn't get closure from any position on the travel that didn't begin from almost full open. I even downloaded 2.3.13 but that didn't make any difference.
I saw one thing that may or not be a clue. If I close softly even from full open, I get no closure sound at all. So naturally I went fooling around with the velocity curve for the pedal, but it made no difference either. I checked all mechanical aspects of the hat movement as well. The hat position indicator tracks the mechanical movement precisely and quickly.

At this point it seems like a mile deep DIY problem that you realistically probably can't help with unless it's right in front of you and you could see all aspects in context. I'm totally open to any new ideas or suggestions, and I'll just keep banging on the problem till it eventually cracks. Thanks for all of your help so far.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Based on your description, it sounds like you are still using the 'pedal' mode and not the 'stand' mode.
image.png
image.png (21.48 KiB) Viewed 9892 times
I also fixed a few more issues, so you might want to update to 2.3.1.4, which is linked in the beta thread.
Mr_Bluesguy

Post by Mr_Bluesguy »

Of course! I was aware of the new "stand" mode, just totally forgot to switch over to it. Now it works like a real hihat! This stand function is a very significant improvement/addition to edrumin hat control. It just keeps getting better and better all the time.

Also wanted to pass along something I learned on this little adventure to other DIY hihat builders. The relationship between the magnet strength and distance between sensor and magnet at full closure can make or break responsiveness. For example, if the magnet is so strong that it induces full voltage output before full travel occurs, you can waste 10-20% of the opening travel just moving the magnet far enough enough away from the sensor for it to begin recognizing that the magnetic field is diminishing. To put it simply, a shorter stroke distance requires a smaller magnet. Even with a very small magnet, I needed a slightly less than .5" gap at full closure to allow a crisp opening response.
This might be obvious to most people, but it took me awhile to recognize it was the source of an unnatural feel (response).
Once I got that squared away and used Robs new stand setting, this hat is a whole new natural beast.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Great to hear.
dsteinschneider

After switching to "Stand Mode" I was able to lower my physical travel to 1.8cm from 2.5. I wanted to tighten that up because a visiting drummer likes less travel.
Mr_Bluesguy

Post by Mr_Bluesguy »

Rob- this is a quick follow up to provide some feedback on the new software update 2.3.1.4 and .5
All in all, it was a significant improvement.
Two observations, one very minor and one that's just occasionally annoying.

(1) When opening the app, half of the icons on the left side of the screen are missing, as are the edrumin logo and icons of the active devices at the top on the left side. Pressing the "restore" button brings the missing icons back. This happens consistently upon opening.

(2) Occasionally, when striking the hat while open then immediately closing, the "closed" sound isn't triggered, the Level 1 or 2 "partially open" sound is triggered and remains active for subsequent "closed" hits. The slightest opening of the hats restores the fully closed sound. This seems to happen randomly, and I spent a good deal of time trying to identify conditions that might cause this to happen. Doesn't seem to matter how rapid the strike/close events happen or even the starting position of the event. It's just inconsistent and unpredictable. I did ensure the hat was properly calibrated and observed that the hat position indicator was tracking the actual position quickly and accurately.