Center mounted vs 3 cone Snare?

Building your own? Need help with your designs? You've come to the right place.
AKA Wayne

Center mounted vs 3 cone Snare?

Post by AKA Wayne »

Has anybody gone to the 3 come style snare from a center mount. Currently my center mount DIY is working fantastically but I'm wondering if I could do better by going to 3 cone. If anyone has, how much better is the 3 cone on reducing the hot spot. Is there no hotspot at all or does it just move to the edge? How is PS and overall sensitivity? Thanks.
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Center mounted vs 3 cone Snare?

Post by Rob »

I only have two commercially available 3 cone pads (ATV AD-S13, and Roland PDA-120LS) which I used to develop the positional sensing for 3-cone mesh pads. Positional sensing is not as good as with a center mounted sensor, but you can can get center and off-center working extremely well, and there's a more natural transition from center to off center. There's no hotspot in the center of the pad and using some waveform analysis, I was able to even out the response of the head over most of the surface. I feel the ATV AD-S13 is the best triggering pad I have and is now my full time snare. Just like with center mounted pads, I recommend staying away from 3-ply mesh.
dsteinschneider

Post by dsteinschneider »

Hi Rob,

Do I have it right from reading your previous post that the eDRUMin can do positional sensing for the center and off-center with 3 cone sensor setups but not the edge hits?

Thanks,

Doug
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

On my my pads I'm able to dial in edge hits too, but only in certain places (9, 12, 3 o'clock), and not so much on positions in between
AKA Wayne

Post by AKA Wayne »

Thanks for the input. Quite frankly it sounds like it's not worth the bother for me now. My center mount is pretty amazing. The HSS is extremely effective and the PS is very accurate. Also if fiddled with the settings and head tension to the point where it is mostly even response from cent to edge. And the drop off feels natural like there would be with a real drum. I'm just looking for reasons to tinker but I guess I'll just keep on playing. It's bringing me much joy lately. Thanks Rob!
AKA Wayne

Post by AKA Wayne »

About to start experimenting with my new trigger. It has three edge piezos wires in parallel red to tip and black to sleeve. I have one center Piezo wired in parallel but in reverse (black to tip, red to sleeve). And three rim piezos wired in parallel regular red to ring and black to tip. My thoughts is maybe PS will work better if I try Roland wiring since it has the reverse polarity thing. I've heard it is because the neg signal will read first. Will I damage anything by trying this? Is this completely illogical? PS I have know formal training in any of this stuff and am totally just a backyard tinker-engineer.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

You should only be using 3 sensors--no center mounted piezo. The wiring of peizos won't damage anything.
AKA Wayne

Post by AKA Wayne »

Cool. Thanks Rob.
Scottfa

Post by Scottfa »

Hi, with this: "I only have two commercially available 3 cone pads (ATV AD-S13, and Roland PDA-120LS)"
arw you stating the the Roland PDA-120LS is a 3 cone system?
I thought it was a center mount.
Thanks.
mggallagher

Post by mggallagher »

Rob wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:18 pm
I only have two commercially available 3 cone pads (ATV AD-S13, and Roland PDA-120LS) which I used to develop the positional sensing for 3-cone mesh pads. Positional sensing is not as good as with a center mounted sensor, but you can can get center and off-center working extremely well, and there's a more natural transition from center to off center. There's no hotspot in the center of the pad and using some waveform analysis, I was able to even out the response of the head over most of the surface. I feel the ATV AD-S13 is the best triggering pad I have and is now my full time snare. Just like with center mounted pads, I recommend staying away from 3-ply mesh.
Hi Rob,

I'm trying to use the ATV AD-S13 as a snare as my Jobeky one wasn't triggering but I keep having my sidestick triggering as a rimshot maybe 1 in 5 times without really changing anything. I'm using the preset available but is there a section to adjust to stop this happening? The positional sensing sections looks different to that for my other centre-mounted sensor pads. The PDX-100 works perfectly for me but I'd prefer the bigger pad as a snare and I guess if it's your full time snare now, you must have it working perfectly!