Best (and not too expensive) center mounted sensors?

Building your own? Need help with your designs? You've come to the right place.
Tarrasque

Best (and not too expensive) center mounted sensors?

Post by Tarrasque »

Hi all.

While my eDrumin 10 is on the way, I was looking around for the triggers to buy to convert a mesh / low volume cymbals drum kit.

I was insterested in the Jobeky center mounted triggers, but I just read in the manual that they might cause problems, and since I'm a complete newbie I'd like to avoid any additional issue on top of the ones I'll already have.

Can anybody suggest any other brand, preferably unexpensive, that might work better?

Thanks.
mrantarctica

Re: Best (and not too expensive) center mounted sensors?

Post by mrantarctica »

Very much depends on your budget and what you are willing to spend. Drum-Tec make some crossbar triggers which I understand are excellent but expensive. There's UFO drums, R Drums, Quartz Percussions, Drum-Tec and of course Jobeky

You could probably ask Jobeky to put together the actual centre mouting hardware without the triggers, and then install your own cones and piezo's/wiring which might work with the Edrumin. As I understand it, the issue is the piezo/foam combination with Jobeky runs too hot.

There's also some basic cross bar triggers on AliExpress. Try looking for Kennen Dropshipping store. They also sell piezo's and cones. Others on here would know better but I think most people go for 27mm on the head and 35mm on the rims. Just depends on how sensitive you want the pads to be.

You could also DIY. Pretty sure that with some L Brackets, and something for a crossbar, you can probably put together something pretty sturdy that will do the same job as any of the others, for probably a lot less $$$
Tarrasque

Post by Tarrasque »

Honestly, I'd like to stay away from DIY as much as possible. I'm totally unable of even plugging a solder. That's why I'm looking around for solutions that require no drilling or soldering at all if possible.

I put my eye on DDrum external side mounted triggers, which seem the easiest way to convert an acoustic set, but I think they won't provide positional sensing.

Regarding Jobeky, do you think it's possible ro replace the foam cylinders with cones? Would that solve the issue?

I don't know any of the other brands you mentioned. I'll investigate them. ny one to suggest?
mrantarctica

Post by mrantarctica »

You could request that Jobeky make some bespoke triggers for you. Don't know how likely that is to happen, but always worth a try. Build them with 27mm centre piezo and 35mm rim piezo and leave the foam cylinders off. You can buy cones separately and just place them on when you get the triggers. Most cones that you can buy have some sort of adhesive dot on the bottom, so that aspect won't be at all difficult. You just peel off the cover and stick the cone on top of the piezo. The rest is just install, plug and play.

My research indicates that replacing the foam cylinders with cones, and perhaps lowering the height of the trigger itself might improve the sensitivity issue. However, take the advice with extreme caution as I have not actually done this myself, just read that others have done this and achieved good results.

Alternatively, there's the other companies and you'll just have to do a bit of searching around to find the one that you like. Some of it will depend on budget, and don't forget shipping and availability as well. As an indication:

Drum-Tec Groove Bar ~230 EUR per trigger
R Drums ~ 190 EUR per trigger
Jobeky ~ 45-60 GBP per trigger
Diamond Drums ~ 90-120 GBP per trigger
UFO Drums ~ USD$45 - 60++ per trigger : Custom options available which will cost more
Aliexpress + Quartz percussions ~ USD$65 per trigger

You will also need to include the cost of any cables, and mesh heads (if you are going the silent route rather than Hybrid) etc. into that and so it can add up quickly depending on how big your set is.

In terms of performance, probably none of these will "Guarantee" perfect performance. Whichever one you go with, you will probably have to do some tweaking. The more expensive options look more professional, are probably a bit more sturdy, and they may offer after purchase support.

The one thing you can be sure about is that the eDrumin is very versatile, and you are likely to be able to get something decent out of whichever solution you go with.
Playing style is important too. If you are playing acoustic hybrid, then maybe you don't really want internal triggers that may change how your drum performs acoustically. Your hi-hat, snare and bass drum are likely to be the most used kit pieces and so it makes sense that you make these as high performance as possible. If you don't really play on the tom's that much, then maybe you don't really need positional sensing on those, and you might be able to go with cheaper triggers.

Lots of things to think about, but do your research on here, and also on Vdrums.com which has plenty of DIY tips as well. Will be interested to hear the path that you take, and what results that brought you.
Tarrasque

Post by Tarrasque »

Following all the links that were gently provided, I stumbled on this:

https://www.quartzpercussions.com/produ ... on-harness

This really seems to cross all my desiderata: center mounted, double zone, very easy to install, no permanent modification and cheap.

Has anyone tried it?
AKA Wayne

Post by AKA Wayne »

That was the first trigger I ever used. Suffice to say, I've moved on. Never got very good response and PS never worked. But that was when I was using a Roland td12. I use a diy 3d printed spoke style job now and it is fantastic. I would recommend that style. However quartz makes great trigger comes for a ver fair price.
Tarrasque

Post by Tarrasque »

I revive this post because I noticed that the current new Jobeky center trigger has changed design and now has a cone foam part

Has anybody tried it and knows if the hotness issues with eDrumin is resolved in this new model?

https://jobekydrums.co.uk/product/jobek ... stem-v2-0/
dsteinschneider

Post by dsteinschneider »

I didn't see the UFO cross bar install as DIY. There was no drilling or cutting involved for the snare. I just removed the opposing lugs and attached the crossbar using the lug bolts - adjusted the crossbar to center the piezo - tightened everything and then used a metal yardstick across the top of the shell to adjust the height of the piezo 1/8th above the shell. I did remove the grommet from the air hole to mount the jack.
Tarrasque

Post by Tarrasque »

Hi all.

I bring back this post to attenction because I notice that Jobecky has launched some new products with a cone sensor instead of the old cylindical, which I hope would be better compatible with eDrumin

https://jobekydrums.co.uk/product-categ ... /a-i-v-20/

Did anyone try those?
Ronyd

Post by Ronyd »

check out extreme drums:
https://www.extremedrums.com/

Marshall has been doing this stuff since the mid-90s.