Splitting Inputs into edrumin4

Building your own? Need help with your designs? You've come to the right place.
bravo647

Splitting Inputs into edrumin4

Post by bravo647 »

E-Drumming Gurus- please help!

I tried searching the forums and I briefly skimmed the manual but I couldnt find a definitive answer. I suspect I bought the wrong Y splitters. But when I go to split the inputs for the bass tom and the bass drum- I can only get the two pads to trigger one sound. Which is actually kind of cool but not what Im trying to with a small kit with only the 4 inputs. It turns out I bought the 1st one but Im assuming I actually wanted the second?

1:
Hosa Y Cable - 1/4" TS to Dual 1/4" TSF
This cable is designed to duplicate a mono signal.
• Connectors: 1/4 in TS to Dual 1/4 in TSF

2:

Hosa Y Cable - 1/4" TRS to Dual 1/4" TRSF

This cable is designed to split a stereo signal. Black- and red-coded mono phone jacks indicate left and right respectively. It may also be used to adapt a stereo cable with mono phone plugs to a stereo phone jack.

Apparently Im completely unarmed in the universe and I bought 30 bucks worth of splitters that duplicate the mono signal. Can anyone advise what the right type of splitter is to buy for this? Also is my Dx wrong and the mono duplicating y splitters should work?

Im converting an accoustic kit to electric- initially none of the triggers were working- now i have all but the floor tom going but have a new problem in that Ive run out of inputs. Thanks in advance!
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Splitting Inputs into edrumin4

Post by Rob »

You should be using the second splitter you described.
bravo647

Post by bravo647 »

Thanks for clarifying!
kevinbeckman1983

Post by kevinbeckman1983 »

I'm confused... I thought a trs to dual trs Copy's the stereo signal on each side - how does that helpwith splits on an edrumin input? Wouldn't you want a trs to dual t.s. to run split mono? (i.e. to run two toms in split mono, on one edrumin input? ). Maybe he just had a typo... It sounds like he's describing a trs to dual ts (since it has red/black markings for left and right?), and not trs to dual trs isn't he, as he stated for number 2?
kevinbeckman1983

Is the full male splitter cable wired simply: trs jack to edrumin input, with the other end(s) for each pad being (dual) ts, with one ts tip to the trs tip, and the other ts tip to the trs ring (with both ts shields to the trs sleeve?)? No resistors envolved?
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Yes, that is correct.
kevinbeckman1983

I have tried three of these now (Trs to dual TS splitters), two self made (and confirmed each TS tip is going to the ring, or tip of the TRS exclusively, with a continuity tester), and one store bought insert cable as well. It seems one side/instrument does not work correctly on all of them? I've confirmed it on two same size and make rack toms. Lemon 13" x 5 " center mounted piezzos - dual zone pads... One seems to trigger just fine and auto calibrates in the control app. The other side of the split knows it is being struck in control... but it just registers dots at the threshold line, unless you strike very very hard right on the drums hotspot/center (and then the sample/midi note will only trigger full velocity). Is this indicative of some setting I missed or a common error when running TRS to Dual TS splits (with the edrumin input set to dual mono)?

Am i missing something else maybe?

Do I have to use trs jacks on the split out ends for some reason, and not wire their rings to anything (i.e. could the common shields in each TS end in my splitters be 'shorting' to the ring zones of themselves and the other ts split side, be causing me issues in these splitter cables?

I noticed the "only use trs jacks" statement with the manual - did that only mean the input of the unit I assume?

Thanks so much for the help.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Maybe the calibrate feature doesn't work properly on dual mono inputs? Does manually adjusting the controls work? I also make my own slitters and I have 3 inputs setup as dual mono (6 pads) with no issues.

Also, perhaps you should post a screenshot in case you missed something very obvious.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Looks like there's a bug (ED4 only).
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

The bug probably affects other devices too, but I have work around. After you set it to dual mono, power cycle the unit and it'll work properly. This bug should be an easy fix. Sorry.