Always test Positional Sensing with different drums

monospace

Always test Positional Sensing with different drums

Post by monospace »

This may seem obvious to some, but when you're testing your settings for Positional Sensing, be sure to try different snare drums in your VST. What sounds good on one snare can sound really off on another. Try and find a happy medium that works for most instruments.
Miscellaneous Roland triggers. ED-10 + ED-4. MacBook Pro (2015), 16G RAM, Big Sur. Superior Drummer 3. Logic Pro.
monospace

Re: Always test Positional Sensing with different drums

Post by monospace »

Not my tip, but something I picked up from watching Luke Oswald's excellent YouTube channel: when testing positional sensing with Superior Drummer 3, detune the Edge/Off Center/Center articulations so that you can clearly hear where the transitions are. For example, tune the Edge articulation way down, and the Center articulation way up. When done, simply reset to standard tuning.
Miscellaneous Roland triggers. ED-10 + ED-4. MacBook Pro (2015), 16G RAM, Big Sur. Superior Drummer 3. Logic Pro.
mprinz

Re: Always test Positional Sensing with different drums

Post by mprinz »

Yup, I checked the transitions with completely different instruments. Whatever, ride, closed hihat...

So in SD3 there should be a library depending tuning of the CC parameters... but it's only possible in the MIDI in/out settings.