Prevent double triggering on a kick drum

Rob
Site Admin

Prevent double triggering on a kick drum

Post by Rob »

Sometimes when you are playing heel up, the beater of your kick drum can bounce on the head of the pad after the initial hit. This can result in double triggers and poor definition of kick hits. If you look at the waveform below, you can see that the beater bounces off the head about 100 ms after the initial hit. With the settings shown, this will result in a double trigger with the low velocity bounce masking the initial hit.
kick_long_hold_double.jpg
kick_long_hold_double.jpg (42.33 KiB) Viewed 4085 times

One way to solve this problem is to of course get better at controlling your leg, but increasing the HOLD time will also make a huge difference. In the image below, we can see that the bounce around 100ms is now completely below the decay line and will not cause a double trigger.
kick_long_hold.jpg
kick_long_hold.jpg (43.12 KiB) Viewed 4085 times
Mylo

Re: Prevent double triggering on a kick drum

Post by Mylo »

How would this affect people with the ability to play fast double strokes with their feet? Throw in double strokes with both feet... I hear some really fast feet work in metal genres. I ask because the manual suggests long hold times can affect rolls.
mprinz

Post by mprinz »

Hi, at let's say 220 bpm you have 4 beats per second, with very, very fast 16th notes, you have 16 strokes in a second leading to 62,5 ms between them. In buzzroles the time between the hits from the bouncing stick is less and will be an issue, at a HOLD of above 50 ms.

Manuel
dsteinschneider

Post by dsteinschneider »

Hi Rob,

Thanks for posting this fix (stretch hold time out to 56ms). It worked great for my UFO Drums kick drum sensor. The piezo is "centered" above where the beater hits and the top rim.
AKA Wayne

Post by AKA Wayne »

This is a great software fix. Also don't forget the good mechanical fix too of stuffing the drum with pillows or in my case, cushion foam.
LooseSends

Post by LooseSends »

Can confirm. I realized this a while ago and it's absolutely perfect when you get the right "hold" to tame mallet flutter and bounce.

It can be a bit tricky to figure out but when you do it makes a huge difference in your playing.