Make hard rim hits trigger Rimshot

Rob
Site Admin

Make hard rim hits trigger Rimshot

Post by Rob »

Have you ever wanted light hits on the rim trigger sidestick, but have hard hits trigger the Rimshot. While not entirely obvious, this functionality is built into the Rimshot Range Control. Simply dragging the right side of the rimshot range all the way to the far right, and then adjust the bottom part of the rimshot range to set the velocity cutoff between the sidestick and the rimshot. Here's pic of the rimshot range settings that work well for my PD-125.
alwaysRSonHarHit.png
alwaysRSonHarHit.png (4 KiB) Viewed 4579 times
Dadwrshpdrum

Re: Make hard rim hits trigger Rimshot

Post by Dadwrshpdrum »

Do you have a playing example of this? Seems very cool.
TD-17KVX, PD-125BK snare, PDX-100 Tom, PDX-12 Toms, PDX-8 Toms, CY-5 splash, CY-15R ride, CY-13R China. eDRUMin 10 with TD-17 slave module. MacBook Pro (16gb RAM and 1TB SSD). SSD5.5 and EZD2. Abelton Live.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I'm not sure what you mean. Basically, if you play the rim soft, you'll get sidestick, and if you play it hard, your will get the rimshot. In version 1.4, the velocity of the rimshot is not going to scale as nicely as it should if you are *only* hitting the rim, but in version 1.5 it'll scale a lot better.
Dadwrshpdrum

Post by Dadwrshpdrum »

Sorry my question was confusing. Is it an actual “soft” rimshot hit (ie rim and head at same time just soft), or is this just hitting the rim by itself?
TD-17KVX, PD-125BK snare, PDX-100 Tom, PDX-12 Toms, PDX-8 Toms, CY-5 splash, CY-15R ride, CY-13R China. eDRUMin 10 with TD-17 slave module. MacBook Pro (16gb RAM and 1TB SSD). SSD5.5 and EZD2. Abelton Live.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Just the rim by itself. But as I said, it'll work much better in version 1.5. with version 1.4 it works well with my PD-125, but not so well with my DDT.
Dadwrshpdrum

Post by Dadwrshpdrum »

Rob wrote:Just the rim by itself. But as I said, it'll work much better in version 1.5. with version 1.4 it works well with my PD-125, but not so well with my DDT.
Oh okay. Sorry for another question. Does a regular rimshot (head and rim together) still work the same? Is using this technique is a rimshot just a really hard rim only hit.
monospace

Post by monospace »

Rob wrote:But as I said, it'll work much better in version 1.5.
Hmm. Version 1.5 you say? When might we expect to see that?
Miscellaneous Roland triggers. ED-10 + ED-4. MacBook Pro (2015), 16G RAM, Big Sur. Superior Drummer 3. Logic Pro.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

If I scale back some of my plans, I could have a beta version ready in about two weeks.
nachocascardo

Post by nachocascardo »

Rob wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:00 pm
Have you ever wanted light hits on the rim trigger sidestick, but have hard hits trigger the Rimshot. While not entirely obvious, this functionality is built into the Rimshot Range Control. Simply dragging the right side of the rimshot range all the way to the far right, and then adjust the bottom part of the rimshot range to set the velocity cutoff between the sidestick and the rimshot. Here's pic of the rimshot range settings that work well for my PD-125.

alwaysRSonHarHit.png
Are you saying that if i hace 2 zone snare i can assign to the rim 2 sounds, if i hit soft i have a sidestick and if i hit the rim hard, i get a rimshot, i need this!!!! i will test this afternoon
MisterE

Post by MisterE »

nachocascardo wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:36 pm
Rob wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:00 pm

alwaysRSonHarHit.png
Are you saying that if i hace 2 zone snare i can assign to the rim 2 sounds, if i hit soft i have a sidestick and if i hit the rim hard, i get a rimshot, i need this!!!! i will test this afternoon
Yes, that’s what this means. In this manner you can avoid hits intended to be rim shots from triggering a side stick as long as you hit it with sufficient strength.