Make hard rim hits trigger Rimshot

LooseSends

Re: Make hard rim hits trigger Rimshot

Post by LooseSends »

I found it way too sensitive and inconsistent for my Alesis snare. Then again, I'm somewhat forced to use a very squished dynamic range on all Alesis kitpieces, so take that as you will. Very difficult to have rimshot/sidestick volumes that aren't wildly different in volume from strike to strike in my case because of this so I've ended up just making a separate trigger attached to the snare for sidestick so it can at least have it's own channel to adjust.

What would be nice is to be able to have a separate articulation curve and gain setting for rim/sidestick hits so they don't have to share the same as snare hits.

It's made me consider just giving in and buying a better quality snare than the Alesis even though I've got it pretty much dialed in that I'm about 90% happy with it. But I can't help but wonder how much better a top snare would be, especially considering the Alesis "hotspot" issue.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

LooseSends wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:40 pm
What would be nice is to be able to have a separate articulation curve and gain setting for rim/sidestick hits so they don't have to share the same as snare hits.
You can have separate curves for each articulation.
Advanced Mode
LooseSends

Post by LooseSends »

Sorry Rob, I misspoke.

I was thinking of AD2 which shares velocity curves among other articulations in the same channel, i.e. rimshot doesn't trigger the same (can't be tweaked) using the velocity curve set for snare hits. I just thought if I could send a different gain level from a rimshot hit in ED I could mitigate the harshness.

It's probably my squished dynamic range causing all of this anyway.

I've long since moved from 2B sticks to 7A and play fairly lightly, even on heavier rock because it sounds less harsh anyway. It's forced me to be more precise I suppose but I wish I had even 20% more dynamic range so I can run volume quieter and have the minimum triggering threshold more seamless. It triggers soft and ghost rolls really well, but I'm forced to shelve it at max 50% in the AD2 articulation curve. This also helps to tame the center hotspot.

It would just be nice if I could "map" the velocity --> snare-hit down a few dBs so that when I'm hitting medium force it doesn't sound like I'm crushing the kit.