Sacrifice Rimshot for Simultaneous Rim and Head

Rob
Site Admin

Sacrifice Rimshot for Simultaneous Rim and Head

Post by Rob »

The Problem
In some situations, you might want to trigger the head and the rim at precisely the same time. This is particularly nice on toms. However, if you have your dual zone pad setup with the input wiring set to 'stereo', then hitting the head and the rim at the exact same time will not trigger two separate sounds. Instead it'll trigger the rimshot sound.

The Solution
So how can we get two simultaneous sounds? The solution is to set the input wiring to 'dual mono input' and carefully adjust the gain, velocity curve, and crosstalk controls to get the head and rim triggering independently. You will of course lose the ability to trigger rimshots, but you will gain the ability to trigger two simultaneous sounds.
Attachments
dualMono.png
dualMono.png (23.63 KiB) Viewed 3681 times
monospace

Re: Sacrifice Rimshot for Simultaneous Rim and Head

Post by monospace »

I love this and it also illustrates exactly why we need device snapshots. Because going back and forth between this and rimshots by means of individual trigger presets is a pain in the buttocks. Maybe in version 1.5?
Miscellaneous Roland triggers. ED-10 + ED-4. MacBook Pro (2015), 16G RAM, Big Sur. Superior Drummer 3. Logic Pro.
Superfish

Post by Superfish »

Hi Rob,
is this the correct method to use if i have a Roland BT1 as sidestick trigger and dont want to trigger the sidestick sample from the snare itself?

i am using Superior drummer 3.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Superfish

Post by Superfish »

Rob wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:31 am
https://youtu.be/L13siTMVYok
yes i saw this video, but my problem is that im using the BT1 with the snare sidestick sample, and i want the disable the same sample from the snare when hitting the snare.

i only want center and rimshot coming from the snare and sidestick from the BT1.

so right now i have give the midinote 40 (rimshot in SP3) to both rim and sidestick on the snare.

but i dont think this is the correct solution?
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

That should work fine. Make sure you are using version 1.6 because 1.5 had some issues with the BT-1 crosstalk mode.