Review of the eDRUMin 10

Rob
Site Admin

Review of the eDRUMin 10

Post by Rob »

Luke over at The eDrum Workshop put together a really nice in-depth review of the ED10.
https://youtu.be/P3S0IMYA1Zo
perceval

Re: Review of the eDRUMin 10

Post by perceval »

Just watched it.

Pretty much what I think as well.
Dadwrshpdrum

Post by Dadwrshpdrum »

Very good review. Nicely done.
TD-17KVX, PD-125BK snare, PDX-100 Tom, PDX-12 Toms, PDX-8 Toms, CY-5 splash, CY-15R ride, CY-13R China. eDRUMin 10 with TD-17 slave module. MacBook Pro (16gb RAM and 1TB SSD). SSD5.5 and EZD2. Abelton Live.
monospace

Post by monospace »

Excellent and very thorough. I'll be sure to recommend it to anyone interested in the device.
Miscellaneous Roland triggers. ED-10 + ED-4. MacBook Pro (2015), 16G RAM, Big Sur. Superior Drummer 3. Logic Pro.
rockdude

Post by rockdude »

Compact and at the same time a very information rich review. 8-)
Nicely done!
Computer specs: Mac Mini, MacBook Pro
DAW: Tracktion Waveform Pro, Garageband
Audio interface: Motu 828mk3 Hybrid, UR22mkII
Drum module: Dual eDRUMin + DSP Trigger
Drum kit: DIY A2E converted kit + 1 Yamaha RHH-135 Hi-Hat and 3 Yamaha PCY-155
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Here's a review of ED10 from Digital Drummer.

https://digitaldrummermag.com/2021/06/0 ... n-expands/
Dadwrshpdrum

Post by Dadwrshpdrum »

Rob wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:12 pm
Here's a review of ED10 from Digital Drummer.

https://digitaldrummermag.com/2021/06/0 ... n-expands/
Really good review. Congrats! Even though the reviewer did not highlight the USB host port, 5 pin MIDI IN, or 2nd pedal input, all of those enhancements make the eDRUMin 10 stand out.
TD-17KVX, PD-125BK snare, PDX-100 Tom, PDX-12 Toms, PDX-8 Toms, CY-5 splash, CY-15R ride, CY-13R China. eDRUMin 10 with TD-17 slave module. MacBook Pro (16gb RAM and 1TB SSD). SSD5.5 and EZD2. Abelton Live.
Rabidreject

Post by Rabidreject »

Yeah it was actually a lot to do with Luke’s e-drum workshop review video. Really comprehensive and he obviously likes the idea a lot more than ‘Justin’s’ Review of the ED4 on the 65drums channel.
Both give good reviews but you can tell Luke is more open to playing without a module using a compooper instead.

I truly believe this is where modules are heading anyway. After the pearl mimic pro, I’m surprised we havnt seen more companies just use a computer, app and touch screen all wrapped up in a sweet little box to trigger sounds as well as having the superior graphical controls to dial in all the triggering parameters.
It was pointed out to me that the company that owns Alesis also just bought the company that makes, I think, BFD. It would be a super interesting move from them if they replaced the sounds on a newer hallmark module to just having BFD loaded into it. I just get the feeling they would still f it up somewhat.

I’m sure we will see more EDrumin like devices arriving as 2022 or 2023 goes on! Hope so anyway….if I could get the ability to change all my settings like you can on the edrumin devices whilst having it all packed away in a box like a module but with a touch screen. I guess I am literally describing the pearl mimic pro lol. I just think it’s too pricey, it would be nice if someone could do something similar but cheaper. Maybe the edrumin is the closest compromise you can make without having to get the user to pay for a computer, screen AND drum software so I guess it would be pricey. Maybe as time goes on the technology would be cheaper. That seems to be how it goes…I am simply going to wait for my EDI4, see how it goes using splitters as well as using my alesis trigger IO for pads I need less control over. I will probably run that setup (depending on how good the edge sense works if I use splitters) until either an ED10 comes back in stock or maybe just buy another ED4 (I don’t really need the extra midi or usb host ports but they may come in handy.)
hang12

Post by hang12 »

Rabidreject wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:06 am
snip...
It was pointed out to me that the company that owns Alesis also just bought the company that makes, I think, BFD. It would be a super interesting move from them if they replaced the sounds on a newer hallmark module to just having BFD loaded into it. I just get the feeling they would still f it up somewhat.
snip...as well as using my alesis trigger IO for pads I need less control over.
FXpansion (BFD) was purchased by the company that makes Roli 'keyboards', and right now it's hard to find a Roli product in any store or on line, so I hope they haven't bit the dust. FXpansion makes some great synth software as well. And I love playing my Seaboard 49.
Do you have a link for that 'BFD' acquisition? Numark (uh, its owners) likes to purchase distressed brands (Alesis, M-Audio...) it seems, then squeeze out some less than stellar products off of brand name recognition. And their lack of current 'OS' support creates a lot of 'vintage' gear.

Like my Alesis Trigger IO - it didn't support a lot of Roland triggers out of the gate (huh!?) despite all of the marketing claims. It may have eventually been updated, maybe, but it has sat on the shelf for the longest time because - 1) it was too inexpensive to bother to re-sell, and 2) it kind of did some things well enough. So, modules like it are useful for lesser tasks from time to time - hence I'm using my Roland TMC-6 for kick pedals only, until I can muster up a eDRUMin4 purchase to add to my two eDRUMin10's.

Rob's Audiofront products are just way ahead of these lesser (and greater) modules for interface-ability, think-through, and updates. There are some companies whose new product releases I use are just not 'on it' like Rob is, when it comes to updating. Two weeks ago I found two huge bugs in a well known softsynth's new release - spelled out the reproduction steps, emailed it in, was acknowledged - then no response. (still waiting) This site is not like that.

My TD-10/TD-20 (old stuff but I still like it) are sitting off to the side and I just can't justify purchasing a TD-50X while there is so much great drum software out there that the TD-50X just sort of doesn't embrace - i.e. it's still kind of one world, or the other, for Roland. But the eDRUMin's can interface with those Roland modules too.
As these eDRUMin products mature, and become more plug and play and universal, they'll continue to be hard to beat. I much prefer a big screen for the drum software interface, rather than layers and layers of menu diving in a do-all box - and the big screen is also great for mixing and recording. But the big screen also doesn't have to be a focus at all while playing, once set-up has been accomplished. Which can take a while, but it's worth it!