Having an issue getting up and going....

Redddog

Having an issue getting up and going....

Post by Redddog »

Hey guys.

So I just received an Edrumin 8 which I'm using with an Alesis Nitro conversion. I say that loosely as really, I only used 2 side mount triggers (for toms) which I added a 2nd piezo to. I then used the center mounted, dual zone trigger for the Snare. I'm using all of the cymbals as is - same for the kick.

I have installed the software and set up the midi in Reaper. I have connected midi and all drum to the Edrumin 1-7(prior to startup). Once I started up the computer, I labeled 1-7 with the corresponding drum.

The only drum that is registering anything is the Hihat. All other drums are silent. At first I thought I may have gotten incorrect wiring diagrams but the fact that the kick, crash and ride (which were unchanged) don't work has me off that theory.

Wondering what I missed in the startup process. Sorry in advance for all the stupid question while I get this up and running.
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Having an issue getting up and going....

Post by Rob »

Do the drums seem to work in the eDRUMin Control Application? What application are you using to produce your sounds?
perceval

Post by perceval »

move the cable from the HH to another input. Does it work in the new input?
Move a tom to the HH input. Does the tom work now?

Most of the time, it is a wiring/cable issue.
Redddog

Post by Redddog »

Rob wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:53 pm
Do the drums seem to work in the eDRUMin Control Application? What application are you using to produce your sounds?
No worky in the ED control app - except for the HH. I'm using EZD3 through Reaper for sounds. I'm gonna first check wiring of the triggers and then double check cabling as per Percy.

Thanks guys! I'll let you know. Appreciate your help!
Redddog

Post by Redddog »

OK... Some new developments...

I did switch the HH cable with the Crash cable AT the cymbal. The crash worked and the HH di not. But there's more....The ride was now working as well. Then It stopped. I moved the ride cable to the floor tom and that worked ...for a second. So know I'm thinking maybe it's the cable pack I ordered. So I started wriggling each cable at the drum/cymball and nothing changed. It was only when I wriggled the cable at the eDrumin that I could get signal. Further Investigation showed that in every input at the eDrumin 8, if i held the plug down (towards the input number) I would get signal. If I held the plug up (away from the input number) i would lose signal.

Off to the cable tester... all cables tested correct (even while wriggling). Tested cables in other things (several guitars) and they were fine.

What should I do?
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Do you have a link for the cables you bought? Sounds like they are the culprit.
Redddog

Post by Redddog »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/374964849807?i ... R9SpwbXMYw

I think that's it, Rob.

I had a couple of trs cables with Neutrik connectors I made lying around and they work fine.

I just ordered a bunch more of the connectors and will make the rest of the cables myself. Wondering....does cable length matter? Those cables I linked are 6 ft runs. Wondering if that was the reason.

I'll check back in when I get everything back up and running. Thanks guys. Really appreciate you help.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

No, cable length is not going to be an issue. The TRS connectors need to be dimensionally accurate though, otherwise they will not mate properly with the jacks on the eDRUMin. At $2 USD per cable, I'm not surprised the cables you linked are giving you grief.
MisterE

Post by MisterE »

Redddog wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:32 pm
https://www.ebay.com/itm/374964849807?i ... R9SpwbXMYw

I think that's it, Rob.

I had a couple of trs cables with Neutrik connectors I made lying around and they work fine.

I just ordered a bunch more of the connectors and will make the rest of the cables myself. Wondering....does cable length matter? Those cables I linked are 6 ft runs. Wondering if that was the reason.

I'll check back in when I get everything back up and running. Thanks guys. Really appreciate you help.
Ouch. I wish I had jumped in earlier with that suggestion. In my 40 years of edrumming, more often than not it’s a bad cable or connection. Glad you sorted it out.
Redddog

Post by Redddog »

Rob wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:02 am
No, cable length is not going to be an issue. The TRS connectors need to be dimensionally accurate though, otherwise they will not mate properly with the jacks on the eDRUMin. At $2 USD per cable, I'm not surprised the cables you linked are giving you grief.
Yeah. I was planning on building custom lengths at some point but was excited to get up and going so I took the lazy way out. I have a bunch of Neutrik NYS228 connectors on the way and will have 'em all going by mid-week.

Thanks again, fellas. Really appreciate the help and sorry in advance for the rest of the dumb questions I'll be killing you all with. lol.