On Trigger

Ludo

Re: On Trigger

Post by Ludo »

Rob wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:36 pm
A few more notes this.

I did my research. I live in a 3 story concrete structure. I left my phone recording on the first floor and then went up to my studio on the 3rd floor. I placed my 'silent kit pedal' (KT10) on the bare concrete and hit it a few times. Then I placed some soft mats under it and did the same. Finally I placed it on the platform and did the same. I then grabbed my phone as listened to the results.

First, I was shocked at how loud that 'silent' kit pedal was. They didn't sound loud in my studio, but they were quite loud on the first floor. Using the mat under it reduced the volume by about 20%, but using the platform reduced the volume by about 85%--so much so that I couldn't even really hear the hits over the ambient noise from cars passing outside. I was completely shocked because using the platform actually made the kick pedal sound a lot louder in my studio. and I was sure it wasn't doing anytime!

The fact that the drums sound louder in my studio when using the platform actually makes sense. If the energy from my playing isn't going into the structure of my studio, then it has to go into the air.

So if you're reading this far, I would stop to think about what the walls and floors are made of. Concrete is good at stopping air born noise, but will easily conduct noise when you apply a force directly to it which is why the platform is so effective in my situation. If you floor and walls are made of wood with very little insultation, they might transmit more of the air born noise.

Here are some videos I watched. There are lots of bad videos on how to make an isolation platform, so I'll a post link a video that is grounded in good science. I recommend using a small platform for just the kit, keeping your stool on the floor your apartment. It'll keep the cost down and make the platform perform better.

The last thing I'll say, it that using a platform make edrums feel so much more real. Having great sounding samples is important for realism, but having the energy from you hits stay in the kit and travel up into you legs is something samples can't do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAxxviPW7Bc
Thank you Rob for this feedback, I didn't think that this post would lead you into scientific experiments lol, yes just like you I am quite surprised by your results, the building in which I live is made of concrete and plasterboard just like you and the floor surface is made of tiles so yes I can confirm that we can hear people putting away chairs under their table after eating for example without suspecting that this simple friction passes through the slightest mini orifice which does not is not insulated, (electrical sockets, plinths on the floor, window seals, etc etc., the sound does not stop, or we diffuse it or we absorb it it seems to me, so you are also right for this which in terms of the frustration felt at not being able to express oneself as one would like especially when owning an Edrumin, that's why I'm looking for the best solution, I looked at your link and indeed , it seems serious and not expensive in order to compensate for the noise from the ground, the addition of velvet curtain and acoustic foam on the strategic doors will be the next step for airborne noise, I hope that the translation of the technical terms will be good .
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I did those excitements before I made my platform. I just used a small piece of plywood and some accoustic foam. I wasn't about to build a platform unless I was sure it was going to work.
Ludo

Post by Ludo »

Rob wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:04 am
I did those excitements before I made my platform. I just used a small piece of plywood and some accoustic foam. I wasn't about to build a platform unless I was sure it was going to work.
I will seriously consider this affordable solution and I will take the opportunity to ask you if you prefer that I make a new post for another dual mono problem for which I cannot find a solution on the forum or I have searched badly in order to to share with the community if anyone else had this problem or if you can answer me directly, the problem is that I hear two sounds when hitting the pad, it's a secondary snare drum with a simple ddrum trigger placed on the mesh connected in split (Male, stereo/Female Female, stereo) on the tom which has an internal mono trigger, I manage to isolate with the threshold but I still hear a little sound from one of the two sensors, that's it you will tell me if I create a new message or if you can find the time to answer me in this post, thank you Rob
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

You spittler need to be stereo to dual mono, not stereo to dual stereo.
Ludo

Post by Ludo »

Rob wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:21 am
You spittler need to be stereo to dual mono, not stereo to dual stereo.
ok thank you very much for your help, I will change the splitter