On Trigger

Ludo

Re: On Trigger

Post by Ludo »

Rob wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:52 pm
So those lower velocity "hits" are the result of you lifting your foot off the pedal?
exactement
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

We're probably getting our posts crossed. Look back a few.posts to see my reply. I'm off to bed for the night.
Ludo

Post by Ludo »

Rob wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:08 pm
So I'll assume that the lower velocity hits are the result of you lifting your foot off the pedal. Unfortunately, eDRUMin does not allow setting the thresh high enough to filter out those vibrations. I don't fault eDRUMin here; clearly there is a mechanical issue with the installation or the design of the triggers. Just looking at the pics you posted of the installation, I can see that the trigger is going to be oscillating every time your foot comes up. I would try to place a softener on the underside of your kick plate. It would need to be something extremely soft. Perhaps some acoustic foam?
I have already tested, currently there is a rubber pad but I had already cut a piece of thick felt pad 3 mm thick but I obtain the same result, I will have to part with it, I was waiting to see with the community if there was a particular setting but I will have to find another solution because the noise is too much even with mesh and silent beater, thank you for your help and your fantastic Edrumin
Ludo

Post by Ludo »

Rob wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:19 pm
We're probably getting our posts crossed. Look back a few.posts to see my reply. I'm off to bed for the night.
ok I wish you a good night thank you for everything
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

The noise in your apartment, or the noise your neighbors hear. The only way to reduce transmission to the floor and other apartments is to build an isolation platform as I described. It's a matter of physics. You need to have a large rigid mass (thick plywood) suspended on soft foam. The rigid plywood stores and spreads out the energy from your hits over a much larger area and the foam prevents it from quickly coupling to the structure of your apartment. No other solution can reduce the noise from going into the floor--not even On Triggers. It's the mass of your foot and leg that that is causing the noise, not your trigger.
perceval

Post by perceval »

Good idea, to try to isolate the trigger from the whole pedal.
Ludo

Post by Ludo »

Rob wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:30 pm
The noise in your apartment, or the noise your neighbors hear. The only way to reduce transmission to the floor and other apartments is to build an isolation platform as I described. It's a matter of physics. You need to have a large rigid mass (thick plywood) suspended on soft foam. The rigid plywood stores and spreads out the energy from your hits over a much larger area and the foam prevents it from quickly coupling to the structure of your apartment. No other solution can reduce the noise from going into the floor--not even On Triggers. It's the mass of your foot and leg that that is causing the noise, not your trigger.
the battery is on a 3m² platform made of 60/60 anti-vibration acoustic slab 3cm thick so the noise from the floor is not the problem, it is the air impact despite the mesh skin and the silent bats, I'm going to go for a used Yamaha Ku100 to help out and then a KT-10, the only way to play silently without any impact for the bass drum but if you know better, don't hesitate
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Your anti vibration platform is rigid and is suspended on foam? The whole thing vibrates when you play on it? It feels like playing on a stage? If you answered no to any of those questions then it's not preventing your drums from coupling with the structure of your apartment.
Ludo

Post by Ludo »

Rob wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:47 pm
Your anti vibration platform is rigid and is suspended on foam? The whole thing vibrates when you play on it? It feels like playing on a stage? If you answered no to any of those questions then it's not preventing your drums from coupling with the structure of your apartment.
indeed, I have to face the facts, I answered no to all these questions, I have to consider building another platform such as you described and for the moment still try to find an ultra quiet pedal for bass drum and air impact, I had a similar problem with a Lemon hi-hat which made a huge noise when closing/opening, I replaced it with an FD-8, no choice
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

A few more notes this.

I did my research. I live in a 3 story concrete structure. I left my phone recording on the first floor and then went up to my studio on the 3rd floor. I placed my 'silent kit pedal' (KT10) on the bare concrete and hit it a few times. Then I placed some soft mats under it and did the same. Finally I placed it on the platform and did the same. I then grabbed my phone as listened to the results.

First, I was shocked at how loud that 'silent' kit pedal was. They didn't sound loud in my studio, but they were quite loud on the first floor. Using the mat under it reduced the volume by about 20%, but using the platform reduced the volume by about 85%--so much so that I couldn't even really hear the hits over the ambient noise from cars passing outside. I was completely shocked because using the platform actually made the kick pedal sound a lot louder in my studio. and I was sure it wasn't doing anytime!

The fact that the drums sound louder in my studio when using the platform actually makes sense. If the energy from my playing isn't going into the structure of my studio, then it has to go into the air.

So if you're reading this far, I would stop to think about what the walls and floors are made of. Concrete is good at stopping air born noise, but will easily conduct noise when you apply a force directly to it which is why the platform is so effective in my situation. If you floor and walls are made of wood with very little insultation, they might transmit more of the air born noise.

Here are some videos I watched. There are lots of bad videos on how to make an isolation platform, so I'll a post link a video that is grounded in good science. I recommend using a small platform for just the kit, keeping your stool on the floor your apartment. It'll keep the cost down and make the platform perform better.

The last thing I'll say, it that using a platform make edrums feel so much more real. Having great sounding samples is important for realism, but having the energy from you hits stay in the kit and travel up into you legs is something samples can't do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAxxviPW7Bc