Audio Front Wireless Triggers

Dxtrinc

Audio Front Wireless Triggers

Post by Dxtrinc »

So this question comes from a place of absolutely zero knowledge and modern day electronic privilege.

Is making triggers wireless that complicated? From my stand point its only kbs of information and Bluetooth 5 can do 2mbps as an example.

Could a transmitter be out on the end of a 1/4 jack and a have a matching 1/4 jack so they could be used on a bunch of different modules?

I know the company versatrigger exists and I read the guy who did it was hired by DW?

Anyways. Not having to run cables would be such a huge step up and it SEEMS like it should be easy. But I'm guessing it's not.

With edrumin being run from a laptop would it be possible to have wireless triggers? I'd buy Audio Front wireless triggers on first day of orders!
i420piate

Re: Audio Front Wireless Triggers

Post by i420piate »

You and the whole world would jump on this if available (**And cheap**). DW has the DWe set which is electronic and wireless, but AFAIK it isn't BT tech, it is more Zigbee wireless tech? I may be wrong, either way, those sets ate upwards of $10k. And Roland owns DW now, which means like mesh heads or the cymbal rotation stoppers, Roland is going to hang on to the patent and if they license the tech, how much will they charge? Alesis didn't end up licensing the mesh or rotation stoppers. So I feel the tech is far away and won't be cheap at all. Just my $0.02.
Alesis Surge with 4 tom and 5 cymbal pads, eDRUMin4 using SSD5.5 and SP3 on Mac OS.
perceval

Post by perceval »

The issue with Bluetooth is not the amount of data, but the latency.

It's great for sending music around, where you don't notice the latency, but not for playing drums in real time.
Dxtrinc

Post by Dxtrinc »

i420piate wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:12 pm
You and the whole world would jump on this if available (**And cheap**). DW has the DWe set which is electronic and wireless, but AFAIK it isn't BT tech, it is more Zigbee wireless tech? I may be wrong, either way, those sets ate upwards of $10k. And Roland owns DW now, which means like mesh heads or the cymbal rotation stoppers, Roland is going to hang on to the patent and if they license the tech, how much will they charge? Alesis didn't end up licensing the mesh or rotation stoppers. So I feel the tech is far away and won't be cheap at all. Just my $0.02.
Well I didn't say in my post it had to be cheap, I didn't even assign a dollar so I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. I would expect this to be between $500 - $1000 for a full set of transmitters. And part of the $10k price is that it's Roland and DW. They have the highest prices in the industry by far. Luke twice the price of the competition.

I'm just wondering how hard it is to accomplish. I know Rob is away till the 10th, maybe he can give more clarity as to difficulty of it.
Dxtrinc

Post by Dxtrinc »

perceval wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:24 am

It's great for sending music around, where you don't notice the latency, but not for playing drums in real time.
Ya that's fair. I used Bluetooth as an example but it would probably be another technology. That being said it would be interesting to know if the latency falls with the file size given the trigger inputs would be kbs. But again I don't know much about that side
perceval

Post by perceval »

So, as mentioned, Versatrigger were introduced a few years back. The tech was bought and used with the new Dee kits.

It is possible, but I'm not sure what kind of wireless system is in there.
Probably some networking unit, as it sold with a base and triggers that would connect to the base unit.
nemo

Post by nemo »

Hello, my two cents: I'm not sure if it's such a great idea to have power supply attached to each pad. Or battery. I mean: whatever technology (low latency Bluetooth, any of 2.4Ghz technologies) - the transmitter needs power.
perceval

Post by perceval »

The DWe uses AA batteries, and they are supposed to last between 1 and 2 years.

In doubt, just change every January 1st, and don't worry about it! :)
nemo

Post by nemo »

Assume one has to turn each trigger on before playing and off after. Like with versatrigger. Or am I wrong?
jacko

Post by jacko »

perceval wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:24 am

i'm sure you know this already Perceval, but for people unfamiliar, the latency with midi over bluetooth is much much less than audio over bluetooth