eDRUMin version 2.3.1 BETA

Rob
Site Admin

Re: eDRUMin version 2.3.1 BETA

Post by Rob »

Posted build 16
  • Changed the way the 'threshold' is calculated so it's decoupled from the 'gain' control.
  • Fixed 'steadyHats' setting not being loaded properly from pedal presets.
  • Updated VH-10 SD3 pedal preset.
  • Update VH-10 hihat cymbal preset.
  • Updated the manual
**You might need to make small adjustments to your 'threshold' control after updated from build 15.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

hb1980 wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:09 pm
You've been busy Rob! Very nice work!

I finally got a chance to try positional sensing properly (w/ATV AD-S13).

This is with FW 2.3.1.13.

The main thing I found was that the settings really need to be honed in for normal/harder playing/hits. Light 'tippy-tappy' hits (say vel 77 and below) registered very accurately for a broad range of settings, but anything approaching normal playing (e.g. hard hits at vel 110+) is where it starts to need some adjustment - hardly suspiring due to the additional vibration from harder hits, but I kind of gave up on it a little while ago because of this.

However, spending a bit more time on it today, I found that with Off-Cntr at 220 and Time Thresh at 1.7 it works fantastically for my playing!

It won't consistency trigger off-centre on something like a hard-ish single stroke roll with left and right hands playing close to the edge (very challenging due to the frequent vibrations) but actually, it still triggers enough off centre hits in this extreme case to be worthwhile/noticeable whilst still blending seamlessly with centre hits.

Single hits are very reliable for me with these settings even at max velocity. Importantly, centre hits remain very reliable.

One thing I really could not get working is Edge hits as well. I tried everything - lowering the off-cntr setting, increasing and lowering the time threshold, but the edge setting always had to be so high to work at all it would break centre hits. I suspect a physical limitation of the ATV. As a result I just left Edge 'off' and focused on getting really good centre/off-centr triggering.

Sorry for the long explanation - overall it's a great addition and I'm very happy to leave it enabled now and enjoy a bit of extra expression! Thanks for implementing it.
Thanks for this feedback. I agree that there's still room for improvement, but as you say the center is reliable and it's easy to trigger off center for some variation.
monospace

Post by monospace »

Even just stepping, the hats are phenomenal. And all that for a mere dot one update. :o
Miscellaneous Roland triggers. ED-10 + ED-4. MacBook Pro (2015), 16G RAM, Big Sur. Superior Drummer 3. Logic Pro.
monospace

Post by monospace »

(Minor cosmetic glitch; the red exclamation mark doesn’t go away after updating the firmware.)
Miscellaneous Roland triggers. ED-10 + ED-4. MacBook Pro (2015), 16G RAM, Big Sur. Superior Drummer 3. Logic Pro.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

It's not a cosmetic glitch. The updated firmware didn't make it into the installer. I've recompiled the macOS installer. You can redownload, and update again and all should be good.

Post by TOP »

Hi Rob,
FYI I experienced a notification to wait and continued with an error msg asking me to replugin when trying to update both ED4s, after following the instructions, luckily the update was able to run normally again. Thanks
monospace

Post by monospace »

Rob wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:38 am
It's not a cosmetic glitch. The updated firmware didn't make it into the installer. I've recompiled the macOS installer. You can redownload, and update again and all should be good.
Indeed it is. Thanks!
hb1980

Post by hb1980 »

Wow! Had a closer look at SteadyHats finally - it's such a brilliant feature. Makes it so much easier to control open hats triggering, nice one Rob!!

I don't know if it's deliberate but in Stand mode xTalk doesn't seem to be working to filter out HH triggering on the pedal. Pedal mode is fine.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

hb1980 wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:11 pm
I don't know if it's deliberate but in Stand mode xTalk doesn't seem to be working to filter out HH triggering on the pedal. Pedal mode is fine.
I'm pretty sure it is working, but maybe it could be working better. You have your pedal's travel control set properly?
hb1980

Post by hb1980 »

Rob wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:08 pm
I'm pretty sure it is working, but maybe it could be working better. You have your pedal's travel control set properly?
Yes I think so.

A couple of videos for comparison in case it helps. This was 3 x 5 fairly quick pedals in succession then 4 or 5 slow. One video in stand mode and one in pedal mode.

With the Stand setting, they are all registered as HH triggers.

In the pedal setting they are all registered as pedal - although interestingly the level indicator in the GUI does not keep up with the 'quicker' pedalling in Pedal mode (but you can see it's triggering pedal every time).

(appreciate the travel setting looks a little high in the videos looking back. It's normally a bit closer to the resting/closed position but tbh changing it doesn't appear to make any difference to the behaviour I'm getting).

I'm on FW 2.3.1.16, tried a factory reset, noise cal, preset recall and all the usual due diligence i can think of, but this seems to be consistent behaviour.
Attachments
Pedal.zip
(2.47 MiB) Downloaded 423 times
Stand.zip
(2.42 MiB) Downloaded 459 times