eDRUMin version 2.3.1 BETA

tjheller

Re: eDRUMin version 2.3.1 BETA

Post by tjheller »

Yes I reverted back on the affected edrumins to eliminate the choking issue. Not to 20, what I was using previously. 2 3.0 17.
I have two edrumin10's each with two edrumin4's attached to them. My hihat setup is a Frankenstein, it's an ATV optical controller and bottom cymbal and a CY14RT as the top. It's working fine on the newest build in the ed10. The 16 on the ed4 seems to be the biggest culprit. I have other cymbals that seem to be fine on the latest version. I'm not certian it's a thin cymbal issue or what. The 14 seems unaffected and I have one 16T that doesn't seem to be affected either. It may be a hardware QC issue that is rearing its head because something in the latest revision has found a hardware flaw that didn't show up in previous revisions. I used to get similar behavior with poor settings on a megadrum.
Inferior Drummer

Post by Inferior Drummer »

Combined with my experience of a CY16RT doing pretty random things, playing around the surface will play fine then choked then fine, fine, choked, fine etc. But the CY14CT basically instantly goes to always choked sound and never unchokes. :?

Build 20 is fine for me btw.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Well that's a bit unfortunate. I really don't want to have to add a seperate control for dealing with FSRs.
Luckymethod

Post by Luckymethod »

the way the unwanted chocking happens with Lemon 18in cymbals is works fine for a few hits, then it chokes itself and it doesn't release until I touch the choke strip on the rim and that makes the cymbal work again for a few hits until it starts choking again etc... I have a video if interested but it just shows exactly what I described.
tjheller

Post by tjheller »

That's pretty much exactly what I'm experiencing with the CY16 R and the ATV 17 China
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I've tested all my cymbals--even attaching clothes pins to them to simulate a worn out switches, but I'm still unable to reproduce the choking issue. That said, I've posted build 25 with a small change that would help out in a situation where the edge is triggered, but the switch (for whatever mechanical reason) stays closed a lot longer than it should.

If build 25 doesn't resolve the issue, I would be keen to borrow a cymbal from someone who's having an issue. I would need to borrow it for a couple of days. I would pay the shipping both ways.
i420piate

Post by i420piate »

Rob wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:28 am
I've tested all my cymbals--even attaching clothes pins to them to simulate a worn out switches, but I'm still unable to reproduce the choking issue. That said, I've posted build 25 with a small change that would help out in a situation where the edge is triggered, but the switch (for whatever mechanical reason) stays closed a lot longer than it should.

If build 25 doesn't resolve the issue, I would be keen to borrow a cymbal from someone who's having an issue. I would need to borrow it for a couple of days. I would pay the shipping both ways.
Rob, I just want to say thank you for your dedication man! When buying an eDRUMin, I didn't anticipate this level of support, I only updated from build 17 to 24 yday, and here you are answering 99% of posts and being so quick to make updates. I'm not kissing ass either, I just didn't expect your dedication.
Alesis Surge with 4 tom and 5 cymbal pads, eDRUMin4 using SSD5.5 and SP3 on Mac OS.
Inferior Drummer

Post by Inferior Drummer »

well build 25 seems to have fixed my CY16RT's behaviour! The CY14CT is also much better than it was, somewhat like the ride was behaving. Very much too often to be usable but not getting stuck on choke as easily and can fix itself sometimes. I just can't see any rhyme or reason as to when or why it goes in to "choke mode" or why it stops.

Keen to hear how other users with these are going.
Luckymethod

Post by Luckymethod »

Rob wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:28 am

I briefly tried version 25 and it still had the issue, this time the only thing that was choking was the bell and the rim of the ride (3 zones) but the main area was working fine. I have a suggestion: could you make a small recorder tool for the signals coming from the drums? that might be useful to debug this kind of issues and save you from having to ship cymbals around the globe. Another suggestion would be to get a Lemon 3 zone cymbal and just have it around, it's really cheap anyways.

Just a thought, happy to keep trying things to help out. Would a video of the issue help?
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I do have tools built in to capture data from pads, but it can only capture data during the scan phase. I also do have an 18" Lemon ride and it performs flawlessly even with clothes pins attached to the edge to compromise its triggering. Your cymbal seems to have some mechanical issues. Do you get a lot of false 'edge' hits?

Anyways, build 26 which I just posted, should be the solution.