Manually choke once, AT yellow light flashes
Manually choke a second time, AT light flashes red then yellow

Playing consecutive strikes
Strike until auto choke occurs
AT light flashes red only
Next consecutive Strike results in AT yellow
This pattern sometimes happens 2,3,4 times in a row
After this I may get 10 strikes without an auto choke I may get 2

More rare is two or three auto choke strikes in a row with AT red only for those two or three until I get the yellow and the process starts again.

If at any point I get an auto choke and I manually choke the cymbal it's the same behavior as above. AT yellow on the 1st manual choke. Followed by red then yellow on a consecutive manual choke.

All choking when not in a fail state is red then yellow.

I hope this is the information you were looking for.
Rob
Site Admin

Re: eDRUMin version 2.3.1 BETA

Post by Rob »

I'm going to try to build a device this afternoon that can simulate an overly sensitive switch. Don't worry about further testing at this time.
tjheller

Post by tjheller »

I would be willing to lend you the cymbal if it would help the community. I'd like to try the cymbal on different edrumin devices first to see if the problem is device specific or if the mail function moves with the cymbal. I have several other edrumin devices I could test it on. Just let me know.

An aside for the CY16RT... they have always been a bit finicky with an edrumin. I tried using a 2 wire to single wire adapter at first to save spots in the edrumin and get bell, bow, edge. This never worked reliably. (Nor did bell sense) I would get a bell articulation with a hard edge strike and get a crash articulation on a hard bell strike. This behavior was similar if I reversed my adapter and activated the Yamaha reverse wiring feature. Using two cable Roland wiring I still get occasional edge articulations with a hrad bell strike. The most reliable use is Roland two wire but it isn't perfect. This is just more evidence that the switches are definitely more sensitive in these cymbals.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Testing it on other devices and even just on other inputs of the same device would be helpful and allow me to rule out tolerance of components as a cause.

Also, if you don't mind, maybe you could sample some data from your cymbal. This can be done with build 20 (firmware build 19).

1. Open the control application and select the cymbal that's giving you grief.
2. Set the scan time to 10ms.
3. Right-click on the eDRUMin logo 5 times and then left click it once.
4.Click on the record button that appears just above the velocity curve control
5. Hit the edge of your pad about 20 times with about half a second between each hit.
6. Click the record button again to stop capturing data.
7. Email the file ED_DATA.hex that will appear on your desktop to support at audiofront dot net.
tjheller

Post by tjheller »

I can definitely do that, just give me a little time (a day or two) to get back to you. It's hard with our time difference and I have two very active children (15 & 13) as well as running my own HVAC company during normal business hours. I do not always get the time with the kit that I would like. I am happy to help as much as I can though.

You want data from 20? What about 26?
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

The data from build 20 and 26 will look the same. I really appreciate your help. Don't worry about testing with different inputs / devices for now. Recording that data shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes and might give me the insight I need.
tjheller

Post by tjheller »

Check your email. I sent the data, hopefully I did it correctly. Also I tried swapping the inputs on the ed4 I was using in my setup. The problem moved with the pad to the other input. I then took a snapshot of that unit and loaded it to a different ed4 with the exact same results as the original. I did the same with yet a 3rd ed4.... same results. Let me know if you want me to try it on an ed10 but that will require some significant moving things around on my very cable managed setup. I'm happy to try it if you think it's necessary though.

BTW the other pad on this and all subsequent ed4s I've experimented with is another CY16RT it is also problematic but not as bad. Both pads are two wire Roland style.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Thanks. The data is good. I'm able to see it, but I need to do some development to allow me to inject the data back into a device here and see if I can hopefully reproduce the issue. Might be a couple days.
tjheller

Post by tjheller »

Very happy to help. Take all the time you need. This seems to be a thin cymbal edge case scenario and the cymbals work well on older firmware. I/We appreciate all your hard work to continue to ring out all the possible performance that you can from the edrumin devices. Thank You Rob
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Hi TJ, can you give build 27 a try when you have time?