eDRUMin version 2.3.1 BETA

Rob
Site Admin

eDRUMin version 2.3.1 BETA

Post by Rob »

Here's an early look at version 2.3.1. The focus of this version is to improve hihat pedal note triggering, in particular for hihat setups on a hihat stand. To this end, I've added a second algorithm for detecting pedal notes. The new algorithm was designed with the following objectives:
  • More consistent velocity detection.
  • Easier to trigger low velocity closed pedal notes.
  • Relax requirement for hihats to return to almost fully open state before a new pedal not can be triggered.
To access the new algorithm, your device will need to be in 'advanced' mode. You can then change the trigger style to 'stand'. This new algorithm probably won't work well with Yamaha hihats. As always, I would happy to hear your feedback.
image.png
image.png (21.48 KiB) Viewed 32871 times
eDRUMin_Control_PC_2.3.1.26.zip
eDRUMin_Control_OSX_2.3.1.26.zip
eDRUMin_Control_LINUX_2.3.1.22.zip

If you are experiencing issues with choking with the latest build, please let me know by replying to this thread. You can downgrade to build 20 (firmware build 19) to restore the old choking algorithm.

eDRUMin_Control_PC_2.3.1.20.zip
eDRUMin_Control_OSX_2.3.1.20.zip
eDRUMin_Control_LINUX_2.3.1.20.zip

New Features
  • New hihat pedal note algorithm.

Improvements
  • Improved timing / reduced jitter of closed pedal notes.
  • Improved arrangement on device icons when using USB Host Port.
  • Added support for choking on Laurin cymbals.
Bug Fixes Since Version 2.3
  • Fixed display issues when using hihat 'impact' mode.
  • Fixed adjusting hihat levels on Linux could cause the UI to hang.
  • Fixed devices connected to USB host port were not getting their MIDI filtered for crosstalk.
  • Fixed pedal editor travel control not working properly.
  • Fixed issue with velocity curves when switching between stereo / dual mono input mode.
mkosch

Re: eDRUMin version 2.3.1 BETA

Post by mkosch »

Wow, that was a quick response. The UI freezing issue seems to be fixed.
In addition, the new stand mode works much better with my Lemon LE-HHC12 mounted on a Pearl H-820W stand. Light hihat chicks that would otherwise be missed in pedal mode are now captured. Great improvement!

However, I can still get into this blocking situation for both the pedal mode and the new stand mode (see screenshot). As a slight improvement, it seems to "unblock" faster than before after small changes to the pedal position.
A new issue seems to be that the hihat pedal stops working after certain changes of the pedal range calibration. In these cases, the device does not send any midi signals for hihat chicks unless it is restarted.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2023-11-16 09-49-08.png
Screenshot from 2023-11-16 09-49-08.png (243.92 KiB) Viewed 32849 times
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Thanks for the feedback. I noticed the freeze too. I found a possible divide by zero hardware issue causing a crash. I've fixed it already, but I need to give it some more time to make sure that I really fixed it.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I posted build 1 which should resolve the hardware crash.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I posted build 2 to fix an issue where 'stand' mode wouldn't send notes after calibrating.
mkosch

Post by mkosch »

Seems to be much better now. Thank you!
Luckymethod

Post by Luckymethod »

Installed the new firmware, I'm not a particularly great drummer but both me and my son noticed the kit seems to have gotten easier to play after the update and the hi hat sounds a lot more natural, take that as you will :)

If it's placebo I'll take it but I don't think so, I'll spend more time comparing the various modes to see if I actually notice some difference.
dsteinschneider

Post by dsteinschneider »

Luckymethod wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:24 am
Installed the new firmware, I'm not a particularly great drummer but both me and my son noticed the kit seems to have gotten easier to play after the update and the hi hat sounds a lot more natural, take that as you will :)

If it's placebo I'll take it but I don't think so, I'll spend more time comparing the various modes to see if I actually notice some difference.
I posted the same in the DIY forum, seems easier to play!
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Thanks for the feedback. I posted build 3. I made it so that the 'pedal/stand' switch is available even if advanced mode is off.
Gemini8026

Post by Gemini8026 »

Gave it a shot this afternoon......

Pretty good. Hi hat seemed to not give me any "surprises" and my open close transitions felt good. No reason to go back to old firmware.

Keeps getting better Rob..... loving these optimizations. They cumulatively make for a better product and I'm already content with my kits playability