eDRUMin version 2.3.1 BETA

Inferior Drummer

Re: eDRUMin version 2.3.1 BETA

Post by Inferior Drummer »

Are you refering to Luckmethod when you say mechanical issues? I don't get any false edge triggering myself. Although I could swear when I first got the CY14CT it would register anything when hit on the edge, but like 1 in 500-1000 hits, so rarely I never trusted I didn't just hit it in a odd way or something. It is the last cymbal I added and at the right most of my kit.... not used to using it much.
But now I can't recall the last time I noticed it not trigger at all, so that's good.

As for build 26, I had a quick bash and was about to post that it has also fixed my CY14CT choke issues, but then it did reoccur. It was easy enough to "fix" with a grab of the rim, but would happen again. Certainly much more rarely than before. Also, it would occasionally fail to choke when trying to, either when choking a hit or hitting while choking.

I'll try .20 again tomorrow and see if I can noticed any odd behaviour.

Cheers.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Inferior Drummer wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:16 am
As for build 26, I had a quick bash and was about to post that it has also fixed my CY14CT choke issues, but then it did reoccur. It was easy enough to "fix" with a grab of the rim, but would happen again. Certainly much more rarely than before. Also, it would occasionally fail to choke when trying to, either when choking a hit or hitting while choking.
So we're pretty close. I have an idea of how to fix the last issue, but I'll need to think about it for a bit. What eDRUMin device and revision are you using?
Inferior Drummer

Post by Inferior Drummer »

The CY14CT is plugged in to an eD10 rev 1 iirc. And the CY16RT is plugged in to an eD8 (I presume only 1 rev? I can't remember how to check) which is in turn plugged in to the eD10.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Thanks. I'm going to wait to hear from some other to see if they are still having issues with the latest build.
Luckymethod

Post by Luckymethod »

Rob wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:30 am
Thanks. I'm going to wait to hear from some other to see if they are still having issues with the latest build.
I think the problem if not solved is definitely improved a lot with the latest version. Btw I'm wondering why you're thinking my cymbals have a mechanical issue, they don't seem to have any issues with previous versions of the firmware.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Maybe "mechanical issues" is not the right term. It's just that the switches are more sensitive and prone close at unexpected times. It's actually helpful because it will ensure eDRUMin is robust. I'm still going to wait until I hear from others before I do anything else. eDRUMin hardware can't measure swiches directly, it has to infer when a switch has been pressed. With the previous design, I was just checking for a switch being on or off, with this new method I measuring degrees of resistance (so as to support FSRs which have variable resistance).
tjheller

Post by tjheller »

I tried 26 with optimism; however, both CY16RTs are still self choking. It does seem to be a little better. Meaning, they will choke for several hits then revert themselves for several hits. It seemed before in the previous build I'd need to choke them by hand for a few seconds before it would crash again, only one of them has this behavior now. It is just a crap shoot as to if I'll get a choke or a crash. When it does choke I get several choke notes in a row before it reverts to crashing. Velocity seems to not be a factor. The cymbal acts the same with low mid or hard strikes. I'm running two CY16RTs in two wire Roland style wiring on an ED4R4

I've been running a CY14RT on my hat setup with none of this odd behavior. The hats are running build 24 ED10R2.

I'm sorry I don't know how to be more helpful. Thank you so much for trying Rob. We really appreciate you and all you do for us.

At least the cymbals work perfectly fine on previous builds.

Quick update. This may be nothing but I found it odd and thought I should pass it on. After down grading the firmware the cymbals stayed in a choked state. I though maybe I need to power cycle the ED4 so I did that. Still they were in a choked state. I physically held the choke strip for a few seconds and the problem went away. Now can crash, bow, bell, choke with predictably. On 2.3.1.20. (even though my device says it's 2.3.1.19)
Luckymethod

Post by Luckymethod »

tjheller wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:07 pm

Quick update. This may be nothing but I found it odd and thought I should pass it on. After down grading the firmware the cymbals stayed in a choked state. I though maybe I need to power cycle the ED4 so I did that. Still they were in a choked state. I physically held the choke strip for a few seconds and the problem went away. Now can crash, bow, bell, choke with predictably. On 2.3.1.20. (even though my device says it's 2.3.1.19)
this is consistent with my testing experience. Downgrading seems to have required resetting the device profile for things to start working well again.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

With build 26, if you were just choking the cymbal by hand, did the eDRUMin correctly detected the choke the start and end of the choke; the "AT" lights up red when you grab the edge and again yellow when you release it. I realize that if the cymbal was already stuck in ckoked mode, grabbing the edge wouldn't show up in the eDRUMin UI, but assuming that the cymbal wasn't stuck in a ckoked state, did the eDRUMin correctly detect the choke and release events?
tjheller

Post by tjheller »

I never looked at that specifically, sorry. I never thought to check that to be honest. I can re-upgrade that unit to 26 and check. I down graded to 20 fairly quickly after the upgrade didn't work. It's getting late here in Pennsylvania but I'll give it a try and report back.