Modules with outputs?

RattlesnakeJay

Modules with outputs?

Post by RattlesnakeJay »

I have an eDRUMin 4 that I use with my rig that I really enjoy. For portability sake though it would be great if the modules had at least a left and right output and even better with some direct outs that could be programmed with the software. As it stands I have to use a 2nd audio interface to get the sounds out of my laptop. I could just use my headphone out jack on the laptop, but because the audio card in the laptop is insufficient I have to have the samples way up to avoid audio issues, which of course creates a huge delay. If I run the audio out through my Behringer UMC1820, I get clear audio down at 8 samples which is fantastic, but with multiple audio devices there is more potential for issues and its not nearly as convenient for mobile work. Plus running through the 2nd audio interface, I have to have my DAW (Presonus Studio One) open and pulls a drain on my system enough that the samples need to be set a bit higher at 64 or 128 which is on the verge of being a delay issue for monitoring. When I'm using EZ Drummer 3 as a standalone app, it uses a lot less resources and I'm able to play at lower sample rates. Is there any chance that adding outputs could be a future product improvement?
perceval

Re: Modules with outputs?

Post by perceval »

Well, it is called a module, and there are offerings from Roland, DW, 2Box, EFNote, Yamaha, and Zildjian of late.

Dealing with MIDI notes is one thing the eDRUMin does very well. Getting a computer inside to handle the libraries of sampled drums, D/A conversion, and audio output is what modern modules are doing these days. So, the eDRUMin would just be another offering along those big companies.

There is a new player coming along, using a RPi board. You might check them out. It's called DrumPi.

https://www.drumpi.com
RattlesnakeJay

Post by RattlesnakeJay »

While the eDRUMin does the processing, I wouldn't consider it a module it the traditional sense. While I understand that making the eDRUMin's with outputs on them may not be doable, I still think it would be a fantastic feature that would allow a lot more versatility. There is quite a large number of edrummer's that only use a module to trigger VST's and they don't care at all for the onboard sounds and terrible menu options. The eDRUMin is perfect solution for them and would be even more enhanced by just having at least a pair of main outputs. I look forward to learning more about that DrumPi too!
monospace

Post by monospace »

Not sure what the ask is. Outputs? Of what? The eDrumIn translates waveforms into MIDI. It does not produce any sounds, and frankly, I wouldn't want it to, because that would make it an entirely different product of which there already are plenty.

That said, the DrumPi looks interesting as a companion device to eDrumIn. Would love to know what the expected price point is.
Miscellaneous Roland triggers. ED-10 + ED-4. MacBook Pro (2015), 16G RAM, Big Sur. Superior Drummer 3. Logic Pro.
MisterE

Post by MisterE »

monospace wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 8:48 pm
Not sure what the ask is. Outputs? Of what? The eDrumIn translates waveforms into MIDI. It does not produce any sounds, and frankly, I wouldn't want it to, because that would make it an entirely different product of which there already are plenty.

That said, the DrumPi looks interesting as a companion device to eDrumIn. Would love to know what the expected price point is.
It is my understanding that he would like the eDRUMin to also have audio interface functionality which would mean that we'd only need an "eDRUMin-AI" (so to speak) plus a laptop to trigger and play VST audio without using the slower laptop built-in D/A converters. I, too think this is a great idea, but it seems to me that some of the best Audio Interfaces are upwards of $500-$800 in order to achieve 5msec or lower latency values. If Rob were able to source a D/A module that gets to <5 msec and can add that to a future "eDRUMin-AI", I'd be interested.

At the moment there is another cool device, a mini PC called the HIGOLE GOLE, that was just posted on the VDrums forum at this link:
https://www.vdrums.com/forum/general/pr ... ost1292833

It allows you to leave your laptop at home and use just this very compact device as your module, and it has built-in D/A converter. It remains to be seen what its latency is.