Digital keyboard with virtual piano - can I add a soft pedal to the setup?

RaoulU

Digital keyboard with virtual piano - can I add a soft pedal to the setup?

Post by RaoulU »

I have a digital piano (Korg D1) which only allows for one (sustain) pedal to be connected. I use the piano with Pianoteq (a virtual piano) on a laptop, together with a half damper pedal (Korg ds1h). A real piano normally has a second 'soft' pedal (also called a 'una corda' pedal) and often a third 'sostenuto' pedal. I would be interested to add a soft pedal to the setup. As said, I cannot connect it directly to the Korg - would it be possible to use Midi Expression to add second pedal to the setup in some way and make it work like a soft pedal? The midi standard has a fixed value for soft pedalling, and Pianoteq responds to it.

On the midi expression web page there is a list of what you can do with it. One of the bullets reads:
  • ' You want to give your virtual piano all the pedals found on a regular piano'
So it seems to be possible, but I've looked through the forum and the manual, and there are so many options that I find it difficult to find out where to even begin.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Digital keyboard with virtual piano - can I add a soft pedal to the setup?

Post by Rob »

It's pretty straight forward. Setup pianotec to receive midi from the Korg and the MIDI Expression. Plug a sustain pedal into the MIDI expression and then use the control application to set the CC for the sustain to match the number pianotec expects for the soft pedal.

Rob
RaoulU

Post by RaoulU »

Thank you for the quick reply, that does indeed sound very straight forward!

Cheers!
GordonD

Post by GordonD »

Did it work Raoul? Did your laptop have two USB connectors or did you have to use a USB hub?