Stuck note with two pedals.

Rob
Site Admin

Re: Stuck note with two pedals.

Post by Rob »

Take a look at the MIDI Transformer section.
brett

Post by brett »

OK, thanks.

So as I understand it, I should be able to configure a "Duplicate" Transformer which will Duplicate the Note On/Off, and then Transform it to send on a different channel. That way I can send a Note On/Off to two channels.

I'm trying to get this working with the MIDI Expression IO connected via the MIDI out port to my keyboard.

So I've done this:
On my keyboard:
Sound A - Channel 2
Sound B - Channel 3

If I configure 2 pedals to send Note On/Off to Channel 2 & 3 respectively, the individual pedals play the correct sounds, so I'm pretty sure I have the channel numbers & keyboard configuration correct

So now to try and get Pedal 1 to play on two channels:

Input Editor: Pedal 1 - Note On/Off, Channel 2, Note A2
Routing: Pedal 1 - Transform On
MIDI Transformer:
Duplicate
MIDI Messages To Transform: Note On / Off, for Channel 2
Operation: Set Channel 3

This doesn't seem to work -- I only ever get the first note.

I played with USB output a bit to see if that worked. Using the Pocket MIDI app on my Mac to monitor inputs, I could see the two note on/off messages when the transformer was turned on. I then tried in MainStage with two keyboards, one assigned to channel 2 and one assigned to channel 3, and this worked too.

But when I try connected directly to my keyboard this same configuration does not work. It seems that I'm missing something when trying to get this working with the MIDI Expression IO connected via MIDI to my keyboard.
Last edited by brett on Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Nice catch. Confirmed bug. I'll get on it.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Fixed. I posted build 2.8.2.11 in the downloads area.
brett

Post by brett »

Excellent -- that's working now; thanks! In conjunction with configuring the keyboard, I can basically do what I want now, which is to use the pedals to play sounds.

However, I can't see how I can configure a pedal to select a sound and play it since this requires 4 messages, and as far as I can see I can only use the MIDI Transformer to send at most 2. To change a sound I need 3 messages (2 for bank select, 1 for program change):

Bank Select:
B<channel>H 00H <MSB>
B<channel>H 20H <LSB>
Program change:
C<channel>H <program>

and then after that I need 1 additional message for the Note On/Off

(Or am I expecting to be able to do too much with just the MIDI Expression?)
Last edited by brett on Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

The original message plus 3 transformations should give you a total of 4 messages.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

The biggest limitation right now is that there's no way to change the type of message that's sent. I've actually allotted a memory space to set the message type, but I haven't implemented it yet. That's something I can look at doing.
brett

Post by brett »

Great. Thanks for all your help getting this working.

The other limitation that I can see (correct me if I'm wrong about this) is the limited number of transformers. If I want to assign a similar function to all three pedals - each selecting and playing a different sound - as far as I understand the way to do that right now is with transformers -- but there are only 3 of them shared across all the pedals.

If there was a lower-level way of sending a string of MIDI commands for a pedal, in addition to the high level Control Change/Program Change/Note Change messages available now, that would allow you to do almost anything.