CV Pedal Compatibility

Boot

CV Pedal Compatibility

Post by Boot »

I have a (very) old KORG MS-01 pedal. It outputs your choice of either or both 0 ~ +4VDC and/or 0 ~ -4VDC.

My intent is to use this pedal to control the mod-wheel function in a VSTi running inside my DAW - REAPER.

Will your devices accept a 0 ~ 4VDC input and convert it to MIDI CC?

Thanks
Boot

Re: CV Pedal Compatibility

Post by Boot »

The more I look into this, I'm thinkin', "No." WIll likely break down & buy a Moog EP-3.
Boot

Post by Boot »

Does anyone know if these units will work with either the Moog EP-3 or the Yamaha FC7? Is there anyone here?
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I had spent some time doing some research when you first asked about the MS-01, and I'm going to play it safe and say it's not going to work. Works fine with the EP-3 and the Yamaha FC-7. I have both of those pedals.

Regards,
Rob
Boot

Post by Boot »

Thanks for the response, Rob.

One last bit of annoyance, if I may:

Being a rather old goat here, I'd feel more comfortable if I could confirm a few things before making a purchase.

My setup: I play a 1986 Oberheim Xk MIDI keyboard. This is plugged into my Focusrite 18i20 via 5 pin MIDI. The Focusrite, of course, is
connected to my PC via USB. OS = Windows 7 64bit; DAW = REAPER.

My intended use of a "MIDI Expression" device is to control, via foot pedal (Moog EP-3 or Yamaha FC7 or...) various CC aspects of my VSTi's in REAPER.

I would plug my (yet to be purchased) pedal into a MIDI Expression device; plug the MIDI Expression unit directly into my PC via USB, and thus be able to accomplish this. Am I on the right track?

Bonus Questions:

1. Will MIDI Expression work OK with any of the "Ernie Ball" pedals?

2. As I have not yet purchased my pedal, I would be very interested in hearing any opinions you have on the Moog vs. Yamaha vs. ??? pedals. All I've heard is that the Yamaha has a longer throw and the Moog has a "scalable output knob" (whatever that is). SInce you're a man with experience, any preferences?

Thanks.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Boot wrote:I would plug my (yet to be purchased) pedal into a MIDI Expression device; plug the MIDI Expression unit directly into my PC via USB, and thus be able to accomplish this. Am I on the right track?
Rob wrote:1. Will MIDI Expression work OK with any of the "Ernie Ball" pedals?
Indeed, you are.
It definitely will work with some, but depends on the resistance of the pot inside the pedal. MIDI Expression devices work best with pot in the range of 5K to 100K resistance. Anything more than that, the pedal will start to appear "noisy" and the device will not be able to reads its value reliably.
Boot wrote: 2. As I have not yet purchased my pedal, I would be very interested in hearing any opinions you have on the Moog vs. Yamaha vs. ??? pedals. All I've heard is that the Yamaha has a longer throw and the Moog has a "scalable output knob" (whatever that is). SInce you're a man with experience, any preferences?
I while back I started writing some reviews, which I put up on a page. While it's far from complete, it'll give some insight into the differences of the pedals listed there.
http://www.audiofront.net/pedalReviews.php
Boot

Post by Boot »

That review to which you linked is perfect - just what I needed.

Thanks again for your time.