Can I use Midi Expression to control filter knob on synth

adomarc

Can I use Midi Expression to control filter knob on synth

Post by adomarc »

I use my Korg Minilogue live often. I'd like to be able to control Knobs like the filter cutoff without having to take one of my hands of the keys. Using an expression pedal would be very convenient. However, the Korg Minilogue does not have inputs for sustain or expression pedals. The Korg Minilogue does have MIDI in, MIDI out, and USB ports and some control over receiving MIDI from different channels.

Can I use the Midi Expression to control the filter cutoff knob on my Korg Minilogue or is Midi Expression only for computer DAWs. Will I need to have a computer connected to use Midi Expression?

Link to Korg Minilogue manual:
http://cdn.korg.com/us/support/download ... AA7HGZGU6Q
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Can I use Midi Expression to control filter knob on synth

Post by Rob »

So I looked over the manual of he Minilogue. It looks like that USB port is for connecting the Minilogue to your computer, and not for connecting other devices to it.

That means the only product you can use is the MIDI Expression iO. It has full size MIDI ports and does not require a computer as it's fully functional as long as it has power. You could simply power it with a phone charger.

Regards,
Rob
adomarc

Post by adomarc »

Hi Rob,
Thanks for the reply. I don't know if this changes anything but I am able to send MIDI over USB to the Korg Minilogue from my computer through Ableton. The USB port isn't just for software updates though I'm not sure if the USB port would supply the MIDI Expression the current it needs. Perhaps, as you have suggested the MIDI Expression iO is the only solution then.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Hi,

Sorry I misunderstood. I thought you were looking for a solution without a connected DAW. If you are using a DAW, you can use any MIDI Expression and route its MIDI to your Minilogue.

Regards,
Rob