Linux APP for midi expression?

skelmy

Linux APP for midi expression?

Post by skelmy »

Why is there an APP for every single OS apart from Linux? Running it in wine, installs but it doesn't run well. And the VST won't run with a .so bridge i.e. Airwave.

Please please PLEASE could you port to Linux with a .deb file? That would be REALLY REALLY so helpful.

Also I cannot find my purchase I.D. to contact you via support :-(

Regards,

John
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Linux APP for midi expression?

Post by Rob »

Hi John,

Linux support is not so simple. Linux is not friendly to to way that the control application communicates with MIDI Expression devices--there are permission issues that would need to be resolved. I think a more practice approach would be to implement a web based editor that could be run in Chrome.

If you are able to install Google's Chrome browser, could you check out this link as see if it can read MIDI messages from your device? If it can, then that might be the easiest way to get Linux support.

https://factotumo.com/web-midi-console/
skelmy

Post by skelmy »

Hi Rob,

Well it seems in a terminal: lsusb tells me that Linux wont even see it, how ever doesn't it says on this website that the Midi Expression is compatible with Linux?
If its compatible with Android which is based on the Linux kernel then how is that more difficult just out of interest? I am FULLY willing to help get it working even just being able to be detected and then working on from there.

Regards,

John
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

It definitely does work on Linux, the only issue is that there is no control application available for Linux.

Maybe you are having another issue. Without a pedal attached, look in through the back while connecting the USB cable. Does an internal LED flash once?

Rob
skelmy

Post by skelmy »

My apologies, school boy error, I changed the cable I was using with it for my Linux machine and it shows up in Terminal with command: lsusb as "Van Ooijen Technische Informatica"

This also shows up in Chrome as MIDI Expression BLACK MIDI 1 so its working.

The next big question is how to get a controller APP working for the MIDI Expression with Linux. Like you say a Chrome APP would be useful as that would bridge the gap easy, but still no native Linux APP, but at least a work around.

Cheers,

John
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I'm glad you got it sorted. I can promise that there won't be a native Linux app. It would just be way too much work to recode my entire GUI for just a handful of users. What I can promise, however, is some effort on my behalf to get a Wine friendly PC version--maybe by summer.

Regards,
Rob
skelmy

Post by skelmy »

Hi again Rob,

Yep got this FULLY working now with Ubuntu 16.04. Previously set up the midi CC's etc and one extra expression pedal with a Windows installed machine. But some kind of APP some how even through Chrome but this is a shame because Chromium have removed APP launcher :x https://blog.chromium.org/2016/03/retir ... ncher.html as is told last year in this link provided.

Still there has to be a way some how.
skelmy

Post by skelmy »

Rob wrote:I'm glad you got it sorted. I can promise that there won't be a native Linux app. It would just be way too much work to recode my entire GUI for just a handful of users. What I can promise, however, is some effort on my behalf to get a Wine friendly PC version--maybe by summer.

Regards,
Rob
NOW THAT Rob would be ABSOLUTELY fantastic if you do. There are many MANY Linux users who would then jump at buying one of your products I know that for sure. Ubuntu Studio is used by a lot of people so is Ubuntu and also Studio64 etc

Regards,

John
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

So, I started working on this at the most basic level, and made some progress. Before I go any further I want to make sure Wine will do its stuff. If you update your firmware to the latest version, I'll send you an installer that would allow to confirm whether or not there is any point in proceeding.

Rob