Using MIDI Expression with keyboard rather than computer

EditorJack

Using MIDI Expression with keyboard rather than computer

Post by EditorJack »

Would the MIDI Expression work with a keyboard, such as the Roland VR-09?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VR09

The keyboard has two USB ports, Type A and a Type B.

I'd like to use a momentary footswitch or sustain pedal through the MIDI Expression to control rotary speaker on/off.

Thanks for your help!

Best wishes,
EditorJack
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Using MIDI Expression with keyboard rather than computer

Post by Rob »

MIDI Expression devices combine a few different interfaces together into one package. There's a MIDI interface, an HID interface, as well as a keyboard interface for sending key-commands. It has recently come to my attention that some 3rd party gear with doesn't like 'seeing' the keyboard interface.

An example is the range of iConenctivity MIDI products. Out of the box, MIDI Expression devices won't work properly with their gear. To get MIDI Expression devices to work properly with their hardware, I've had to produce a 'paired down' version of the firmware (which is currently in testing). The paired down firmware simply drops the keyboard interface. I suspect this paired down firmware will ensure maximum compatibility with 3rd party USB Host ports.

In the next couple of weeks I'll implement a function in the Control Application to allow users to easy switch between the standard and paired down versions of the firmware.

Regards,
Rob