MidiExpression IO with FCB1010 pedal

240not88

Re: MidiExpression IO with FCB1010 pedal

Post by 240not88 »

I don't have a MIDI Expression quite yet, but I have an FCB1010, which we bought to send controls to a lighting DMX board. Yes, it's VERY annoying especially on its own.
As many reviewers have said, it's tough as nails, and about as easy to understand as Unix, or Chinese to a native english speaker, or I suppose English to a native Chinese speaker. In other words, with persistence and practice and a logical mindset it can be done.
The ifcb software is a necessity, and is easy enough, just make sure that it finds the FCB. Try to get used to it and the FCB by themselves first, and then once you've successfully programmed it maybe make the FCB do something that you want done in your MIDI world by itself. I'm assuming that you double checked things like the FCB ins and outs are going to the correct places, and that it is powered on (made that mistake lots of times in my musical hardware life!). I haven't used the software for a few months, since we now just use the same 20 footswitchs all the time, but I remember that a push on a footswitch registered immediately on the software. The software will say within a few seconds of starting "FCB1010 found". If not, change what could be wrong and retry. You didn't get an A major chord right the first few times either I bet. None of us did, so don't feel bad.
This isn't one of the forums I often visit, but I'll try to follow up. Good luck!
handmansel

Re: MidiExpression IO with FCB1010 pedal

Post by handmansel »

240not88 wrote:I don't have a MIDI Expression quite yet, but I have an FCB1010, which we bought to send controls to a lighting DMX board. Yes, it's VERY annoying especially on its own.
As many reviewers have said, it's tough as nails, and about as easy to understand as Unix, or Chinese to a native english speaker, or I suppose English to a native Chinese speaker. In other words, with persistence and practice and a logical mindset it can be done.
The ifcb software is a necessity, and is easy enough, just make sure that it finds the FCB. Try to get used to it and the FCB by themselves first, and then once you've successfully programmed it maybe make the FCB do something that you want done in your MIDI world by itself. I'm assuming that you double checked things like the FCB ins and outs are going to the correct places, and that it is powered on (made that mistake lots of times in my musical hardware life!). I haven't used the software for a few months, since we now just use the same 20 footswitchs all the time, but I remember that a push on a footswitch registered immediately on the software. The software will say within a few seconds of starting "FCB1010 found". If not, change what could be wrong and retry. You didn't get an A major chord right the first few times either I bet. None of us did, so don't feel bad.
This isn't one of the forums I often visit, but I'll try to follow up. Good luck!

Thanks for the encouragement! Yes I did finally get it working with alot of persistence. Now Ive just been working on getting it mapped to MainStage. Im trying to figure out if there is a way to do a program change through Mainstage and use a button in there to send a midi change to the board to change it..idk.. Seems like someone would have came out with a consumer product by now that works...The midi keyboards are getting pretty intuitive now just a foot controller needs to come!
@Rob also thanks for everything! so glad its up and running... You think I will have any issues running the MidiExpression IO, nektar keyboard, and possibly a displaylink usb monitor all over a powered usb 3.0 hub?